Chapter 24: Almost Free

"Ezra Bridger," The Sith said. "I have been expecting you."

Ezra wasted no time. He jumped around the corner and fired his blaster, even though he knew it was futile. Blasters were no match against a Sith Lord.

Darth Vader didn't activate his lightsaber. He simply weaved around the bullets expertly. "I had expected so much more," he sighed, almost in.... Disappointment?

"Well, it's not really a fair fight," Ezra said with his carefree tone, putting on a mask of bravado. "I mean, come on, Vader. Don't I get a weapon?"

"Does something that fires deadly bolts not qualify as a weapon?" Vader asked, tilting his head slightly.

"I mean a weapon that will actually do me some good." Ezra fired again, stalling for time. He looked around desperately. The only way back was the way he came.... And who knew what reinforcements Vader had on the way. No, the only way out was to fight through Vader.... And beat him.

Or at least get past him.

"I suppose you are right. A pathetic blaster will do nothing against a Sith Lord such as myself." Vader dodged the blasts. "Though you are a very good shot."

"I thought enemies ridiculed each other, Vadey Wadey," Ezra smirked slightly, eyes alert. He shot again and again at the Sith, buying time to think of a plan. He couldn't get past him with just a blaster; he would ether have to acquire a better weapon or use the Force.

"You are not my enemy, Ezra. You could become a great ally to me, should you ever learn to listen to my offers."

"Yeah well, I'm not listening to you ever again! You lie!" Ezra said furiously, shooting bullet after bullet.

"Enough of this."

The blaster flew from Ezra's hand and into the Sith's. Ezra stared down at his empty palm, suddenly wishing he hadn't destroyed the other trooper's blaster and left it in his cell. He looked up at Vader as the Sith thrust out his arm and sent Ezra flying backwards with the Force. The teenager crashed into a wall and fell to his knees on the floor, coughing.

"It seems I have been far too patient with you," Vader said and stretched out his hand again. Ezra instantly felt the grip on his mind.

"No!" The boy clutched his head with both hands, apparent fear in his eyes. All courage and cockiness was gone, replaced by terror.

"You. Will. Be. Mine." Vader commanded. "Whether you like it.... or not."

You don't have to bow to Darth Vader's wishes, Kanan's voice drifted through his head. You can resist it.

He had to fight it. He could fight it.

For his crew's sake, he WOULD fight it.

For Kanan.

"Will resist," Ezra gasped. He was in incredible pain. Light danced before his eyes and agony exploded in his brain.

"You cannot," the Dark Lord spoke confidently and with certainty.

"I.... Will." Ezra gritted his teeth.

"Give in or the pain will destroy you." The pressure inside of Ezra doubled and he screamed. It felt like his brain would explode from the inside out. Desperately, he thought of his crew. They would help him withstand the Sith's effects.