Chapter 10: A Month Later-The Hurt

Kanan stared at the ceiling and sighed. His world had completely turned itself upside down. And who had started the chain reaction? Him.

Dammit, I should have gone back for him before I screwed everything up.

His crew was destroyed. They hadn't gone on a mission since Ezra had left. Zeb had taken to practicing hand-to-hand combat and blaster aim with the newest batch of in-training rebels on the command ship, since they were orbiting an uninhabitated planet on the edge of Wild Space, while Sabine painted everything in shades of black, dark grey, and navy. Chopper turned himself off most of the time, and Hera focused her time by volunteering to do inventory of supplies, weapons, and food with Ahsoka. And Hera HATED taking inventory. That's how upset she was.

And Kanan? He sat in his room all day, every day, only leaving to eat and go to the washroom, desperately meditating to try and find out how to fix this state of depression that had fallen over everyone in his family. Well, everyone left in his family. Ezra was like a son to him. He had to bring him back before his world tore itself apart completely.

He fingered the second lightsaber hanging on his belt. He had been hoping to find some kind of trace of where Ezra might have gone from the saber's Kyber crystal, since the crystals themselves had some Force-energy, but so far, there was nothing. Kanan had never felt so useless—or helpless—in his life.!

There was a knock on his closed—and locked—door. Kanan groaned from where he was lying, defeated, on his bed. "Who is it?"

"Rex," came the reply.

Kanan didn't even have the heart to suppress another groan. "Go away."

"No. And if you don't open this door soon, I'll hotwire it open." There was a pause. "Come on Kanan. I know you and I haven't always been friends, or even friendly, but I want to help. I miss Ezra too."

Kanan sighed in defeat and used the Force to open the door for the clone. He had become vulnerable in his pitiful state. Rex walked in and Kanan shut the door behind him. The captain's usually bright eyes were full of sorrow. Kanan knew that everyone that had known Ezra missed him, even Commander Sato.

"Alright Kanan. Look. I know you probably don't want to talk to me—"

Kanan groaned to prove it.

"—But we need to talk. Is there any way I could at least get you to say something other than 'Go Away' or a groan or a sigh?"

"No," Kanan replied.

Silence, then Rex spoke, chuckling so softly that it was barely audible. "Well, at least that's a start."

Kanan sat up. "What is it that you so desperately need to talk to me about?"

Rex was silent for a moment, then said. "Ahsoka has new information on the Sith Lord."

This immediately got Kanan's attention. "Well?"

"The Sith is named Darth Vader. He's the personal representative of the Emperor," Rex said. "But this is the most interesting part. That Inquisitor that you sort of kinda killed when you were being rescued from Tarkin's Star Destroyer? He was the head Inquisitor. Grand Inquisitor, he was called. Vader's little pet."

Kanan sucked in a breath. That was unexpected. The head Inquisitor.... "So when I took him out, I basically created a grab for power at the top. So now every Inquisitor is going to be looking for a power play to rise to the top."

Rex nodded. "And what's the perfect little suprise for Vader? How about the Force-sensitive Padawan that escaped Vader's clutches and ended up with the dark side in his head?"

Kanan's whole body went cold. "You don't mean...."

"Yes. They're going to come after Ezra."

Kanan shot up. "Go get Zeb, Sabine, and turn on Chopper. I'll get Hera—and Ahsoka."

Both of the armoured rebels ran out of Kanan's room in a full-out sprint.

Hold on Ezra, Kanan thought desperately. We're coming for you.

This was supposed to be out yesterday, sorry it took so long. Merry Christmas!

-LothalRebelUltraFan