Chapter 15: Living Hell-Part 3

Mel woke up exhausted. She had a headache, but other than that she felt fine. She was sitting on a metal bench and had handcuffs on her wrists....she realized where she was and what had happened instantly.

She had hardly had 10 seconds to herself when the door to her cell opened and in came someone she recognized. The female Inquisitor from the remains of Tarkintown. Oh Force no. Terror flooded through her as she stared down her enemy.

"I don't need to introduce myself, do I?" She asked. Mel shook her head. Dev, help. You're the strong, brave one. You're the reason I've survived this long.

"Good. Then you know why you're here?"

No, actually I don't. Mel shook her head again. "Why didn't you just kill me?"

The Inquisitor laughed. "What would be the fun in that?"

Two stormtroopers came in then and grabbed Mel by the arms. She tried to twist away but their grip was tight as they pulled her out the door and into the Imperial complex.

**********************************************************************************

Ezra did his best to bandage his head as his father began to talk. The words of a song surfaced in his mind.

Careful what you say and who you say it to.

(Asking For It-Shinedown)

"Do you remember the day your mother and I were taken captive?"

Ezra nodded slowly.

"Your seventh birthday. The last time I saw you was eight years ago. Time passes quickly...."

"Where's Mom?" Ezra cut him off. "Did she join the Empire too?" No one could miss the bitterness in his voice when he spoke of the Empire, yet the tone was ignored by his father.

A shake of a head. "No. She didn't see that the only way to protect you was to join the people who could give you protection, and resisted and was killed. After her death, I joined the Empire and became an Inquisitor. The Second Brother. I searched for many years for you, but you were nowhere to be found. Until the day you showed up on Stygen Prime, with those rebels." He said the word as though it were a filthy curse. "And later, at the Imperial Academy on Lothal. We realized that Agent Kallus'–yes, you remember him–decoder was missing after you had escaped, and soon after, our kyber shipment was blown up. Only then did I know for certain that you were alive."

"Let's skip until the point where you and your rebel friends came to one of the old Republic medical bases. Upon his arrival, Lord Vader notified me of your capture. But shortly before I arrived, you escaped. You disappeared from all rebel activity after that until a stormtrooper caught sight of you with your.... accomplices and overheard and recorded your plan to steal a ship. It was fairly easy after that to bring you here."

We were watched the whole time. "But why as I brought here? Why am I still alive? Last time I was captured, I was offered the choice to join the Empire. Is that what this is about? Because I'm not joining you."

I owe Kanan and the rebels that much. They did keep me alive for a while. Besides, I still don't like the Empire. I hate it. For everything it's done to Lothal. For everything it's done to the people I cared about. For everything it's done to me.