Chapter 6

I was bored during the day, so I decided to walk around the neighbourhood, but then I realized I lived in my family's old house in the middle of nowhere so there is no neighbourhood.

I finally just decided to volunteer at the local animal shelter. I was just that bored so I decided to lend a hand.

One day, I headed home to see the lights on inside my house. That could be a number of people.

Could be a robber, but I don't think any locals know about my house.

Could be the Salvatore's. Highly likely.

Could be one of my brothers. Also Highly likely.

I walked up to the door and went inside to hear Grand Theft Auto sound effects going off.

"Damon. I know it's you" I said as I turned the corner to see him sitting on my couch, playing the violent game.

"How'd you know it was me?" he said, while driving through an intersection, trying to avoid the cops that were chasing him.

"First, No one else knows how to get into my house. Second, Nobody would be playing GTA and Third, I'm a girl. we know things" I say, walking over to the fridge and putting some leftover rice in the microwave.

He paused the game and walked over to me.

"So What do you want?" I say, removing the rice from the microwave and getting a blood bag from the bottom drawer and pouring it into two glasses.

"You are going to apply for Miss Mystic Falls, then I'm going to compel the judges to let you in the competition so I can be your escort so you can keep an eye on the contestants" He says, taking a sip from his glass.

"And why should I even consider thinking about doing that?"

"Because, You want to avoid Kol and he sent a letter to you saying if you don't enter under your own actual name he will come and kidnap you and send you back to Augustine" he says, holding a piece of paper.

"Ugh. I hated that place" I groaned.

"I know right. I was so bored I carved my initials into the wall" he says, plopping down on the couch.

"I did too. 1952-57"

"53-58. We were there at the same time?" he said.

I shrugged "Fine, I'll apply but let me see the letter from my brother"

He handed it over and unpaused the game and continued playing while I read the letter.

Dear Adira,

If you want to stay living your little life, acting like a normal regular vampire pretending to be human, them I suggest you listen dear sister. I'm coming into town for the Founders' Ball and the Founders' Parties. That includes the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant and I bet mother would love if you won so I want you to apply, compel the judge to let you compete and get the one of the Salvatore's to escort you. Also, if you dont. I will personally turn every single contestant and leave them for you to deal with.

So consider it or I will come and take you back to the place where you spent years of your life being tested.

Augustine.

Best regards, Your Brother.

Kol

I look up at Damon, who was staring at me, then embraced me as a tear ran down my face.

"When's the pageant?" I sobbed.

"A couple weeks. Lets get you in okay?" he said gently.

I nodded and joined his game until we both fell asleep on the couch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~A Week Later~

I found out Elena and Caroline are also in the pageant. They applied a long time ago. Damon came home one day saying that he took care of it and that I'm in the pageant.

Damon was basically living with me, since he didn't want to take any risks with Kol in town. So every couple days, Stefan or Caroline or Someone came over with clothes for Damon.

Today, we had to get a gown for the pageant and I was dreading it so much. Especially, since Damon was coming with me to 'help,' yet he's probably not going to be much help.

Elena and Caroline had school so I had no other choice.

I get in the car as Damon climbs in the passenger seat and looks around. "I think we might have the same exact car"

"Let's just get this over with" I say, pulling out of the driveway and drove toward town. I wanted to get this over with and go back to bed.

Once we got to the store, we went in, Damon immediately went toward the strapless dresses. I groaned as he turned to look at me and smirked at me before holing up a floor length strapless black dress that was actually really pretty.

I smiled and took it, then turned and went into the dressing room as he went to pick out more dresses.

I took my shirt off along with my pants and slipped the dress on. It had a sweetheart neckline so it showed a bit of cleavage, but not too much.

I walked out of the dressing room to see Damon standing there with a bright purple scarf tied around his neck.

He looked me up and down with his hand on his chin in a thinking face before saying in a high, flamboyant sounding voice. "You look fabulous Girl, way too fab for you! but just in case try on this too"

"This is not the Damon Salvatore I know..." I said as he held out a blue floor length one shoulder dress.

After trying that one on and getting Damon's opinion, I agreed on the black one and we left. As we were walking out, I heard Damon sigh in relief "you're gonna look hot."

"Thank you Damon? I had fun" I smiled at him.

"No problem, I will do anything to protect you. Remember that" he said sincerely.

When we got home we went inside and put the dress upstairs and went and sat down on the couch. He turned to me with a serious look.

"We've known each other for a while right?" he says.

"I've watched you since you were born. I know it sounds creepy, but it was my mission to keep you safe, then have Katerina turn you..." I trailed off, before continuing. "Because I had to meet you. I had to get to know you Damon"

He smiled and did the last thing I expected.

He kissed me.