Prologue

Prologue

“Oh, my God, Mily! What the fuck happened?” Shy squealed, too afraid to go any closer than five feet. Mace on the other hand was already dialing the police, if Carti hadn’t been lying there in a puddle of blood, he wouldn’t have done it.

Milyon kneeled over Carti, crying and talking to him, lowly. “Carti, baby… please wake up. I need you. Please, please don’t leave me like this, please…” She sobbed, barely able to get her words out, her hand rested on the side of his face, and the other holding his hand. His grip was loosening by the second.

Carti was slipping away, his breathing became faint. He struggled to keep his eyes opened, “I-I…  love you, Mil’. Know ‘dat. You… you got my heart, ma.” Carti said, barely above a whisper.

“I love you too, Carti. Please, stay wit’ me! Please, baby… Oh, my God. I can’t breathe. Lord, please, please don’t do this. Baby, keep breathing for me, I can’t live wit’ out you, Cartier. Call the police!” She had heard Shy and Mace come in, and didn’t know that Mace was already on it. She then heard him talking.

Milyon’s heart was beating rapidly, while Carti’s heart was approaching its last. Milyon smacked his cheek, gently trying to wake him but his eyes had closed shut. “No, no, no. No, please… please…” Milyon cried. Just then, Carti released his last breathe, and his grip on her hand was gone.

Mace went over to Milyon who was still kneeling over Carti’s body, crying into his chest. “C’mon, sis’. The ambulance is on the way.” Mace tried pulling her arm, gently. He couldn’t stand to see his sister like this.

Shy stood off to the side, her hand over her mouth, she let out silent tears for Carti. Milyon snatched her arm away. “No! No, please just leave me alone. Just don’t touch me, please.” She said to her brother but never taking her eyes off of Carti. Mace then noticed his gun sticking out of Carti’s waist band; he then went to grab it. He didn’t want his nigga catching a gun charge, if he made it out of this. He then stuffed it into his waistband, and went to put on his Timbs which were already by the door.

Just then, they heard the sirens, Mace went to open the door after he stuffed his feet into his boots. The paramedics climbed out of their vehicles. There was a fire truck right behind them, along with two police cars. Mace held the door open for the paramedics to come in. They came in asking questions about what happened, Mace only told them Carti’s name, and some other basic shit. They quickly lifted Carti’s body, along with Taylor’s, and put them on stretchers.

The police began doing their job, asking questions and shit too. No one could answer but Milyon and she was too shaken up to speak. She watched as they took Cartier’s body, still crying.

“What hospital are you goin’ to?” Mace asked the paramedic as they put the bodies into separate ambulances.

“Henry Ford.” A white paramedic responded, he had a receding hair line. Mace nodded, he walked back into the house to get Milyon who stood in the doorway, watching. “C’mon, Mil’. We gon’ follow behind them.” He said, reaching for her hand.

Shy appeared behind Milyon. “Hol’ on, Mace. She don’t have on no shoes.” Shy said, grabbing Milyon’s shoulder. Milyon followed Shy, she was dazed. Shy helped her put her Ugg boots on, and they both headed out of the house. The police stayed behind and did their job.

Milyon was too afraid to ride in the ambulance; she was scared he wouldn’t come back. She was afraid that the paramedics would look at her and say, “Sorry, ma’am, we did all we could do.” Milyon didn’t want to hear those dreadful words, she would prefer not to be around if they couldn’t bring him back.