Chapter Seven - Part 2

************

“Today is the day,” proclaimed President Barber after he cleared his throat, scanning the room with his eyes.

He donned his best uniform, elaborately decorated with medals and ribbons and pins along his shoulders and chest. The buttons were decorative as well, and the tailored navy blue suit disclosed his startlingly muscular figure. His buff chest stuck out proudly, resonating with confidence. His deep, masculine voice asserted itself throughout the conference room. The cabinet members fell silent upon his unspoken presence, discontinuing his announcement for but a moment before beginning again to a taciturn crowd.

“The Movement’s progress continues today,” he thundered, pausing midway through his opening sentence. “And will continue for the rest of mankind. Today’s reforms, devised by you and your colleagues, will be the cornerstone for this perpetual dynasty of democracy.”

He did not smile. His cabinet members did not dare hint a smirk of assent.

“As you know, however, these reforms are nothing but potential. And potential is useless to mankind. It takes action; effective action. It takes authoritative implementation and strict policy to enforce any law into practice. That is now our goal, as The Movement’s vanguard, to administer these manifest reforms into law for the betterment of mankind. We will begin tonight,” he proclaimed.

President Barber scanned the room, then cleared his throat.

“I will outline each new policy, beginning with the first phase of Population Reduction. At seven fifteen this evening, I will announce to the entire continent that any and all formerly illegal drugs are now open for use in the named zones. Upon this announcement, the hindrances will flood to these zones to return to their haphazard lifestyles of negligence. We will supply them with their drugs and wishes. However, it is laced with deuterium. After several hours of jubilee, they will find their fate; a fate that they would meet anyways considering their habits. These scoundrels are no contributor to The Movement’s purpose,” he explained in a most serious tone.

The cabinet did not budge. Barely a blink shuddered. No one dared to look for others’ reactions. President Barber remained poised and centered. His posture was perfect—puffed chest, wide stance, and hands by his sides, fingers relaxed. What he said he meant. What he meant he believed. What he believed, he did.

“The Movement’s Population Reduction process will continue in the morning. At dawn, approximately six thirteen in the morning, The Movement’s agents will dispatch to each dormitory complex in The Movement. They will distribute the Insight and Loyalty Lozenge to every living person remaining on this continent.This lozenge will measure the intelligence and allegiance one has to The Movement and our cause. If one fails to qualify for either, they will be interned until further review, perhaps retested if we see it to our advantage. The top qualifiers will be placed in the positions deemed most effective for them and The Movement. Those who ultimately fail the examination will be dismissed-properly, of course. The Movement will not employ, nor deal with, liabilities. We will breed the new generation of productive citizens immediately. If a citizen is not intelligent, he is dismissed. If a citizen is not loyal, he is dismissed. If a citizen is not productive, he is dismissed. Women are not excused,” he continued.

The cabinet remained complacent. Troy stood near the front of the room with the president. He was not so close as to show his association, but close enough to display his importance to the rest of the cabinet members. He did not budge a muscle, listening intently to the President’s message even though he already knew everything that would be said. Still, Troy’s muscles tensed as the president delivered his message.

“After the examination period, the Placement Process will begin.  The Movement will conduct a mass ceremony. This ceremony will include a short address by Mr. Duckworth and myself. After a quick word, the loyal, productive citizens of The Movement, all of whom will be in attendance, will be given a tiny pill to be taken orally. This pill will act as a nanotechnology measuring device, which will remain in the body for eternity. This Nanowave will read the mind’s brainwaves, reporting thoughts and decisions to authorities before that person’s actions can be taken. Spoken words are no longer the only form of communication, as thoughts are read and stored on the Nanowave’s drive. It is a proactive, preventive cause, not a reactive or passive one. Not only will this nanotechnology avert crime, but it will avert the thought of sedition and treason as well. If you are a part of The Movement, you will be a wholesome piece, totally committed to the task at hand. Nothing but total commitment will suffice. We will change this world and you, the vanguard of The Movement, will be the reason it be changed,” he continued to explain.