Chapter Seven - Part 3

********

President Barber hid underneath the stage, anticipating the elevator to ascend him above the crowd. Troy and the rest of the cabinet members stood before the throng of citizens awaiting the president’s urgent message. They stood in the cold morning air, confabbing with one another in suspense, all jabbing through the crowd to get a closer gawk at the cabinet members. Troy sat at the end of the row of cabinet members. He was anxious to begin, yet he loved the anticipation building for the moment. Leaning forward in his seat, he peered down the row of cabinet members, all sitting in silence and looking out at the continuous view of citizens. Troy took one last look at the crowd; then, deciding it the right time to bring the president up to the stage, twitched his thumb to trigger the elevator. President Barber’s head appeared quickly; then his shoulders; abdomen; and legs. He seemed vulnerable, yet did not appear to be nervous or distressed. He was poised, ready to lead a great people to triumph.

He took a step away from the elevator platform, then another. The crowd remained dead silent as they gazed at the president, dressed in his ostentatious military regalia, perfectly tailored to present his strapping physique. Badges and ribbons decorated his powerful chest and broad shoulders. His dark brown hair was tinted with gray, as if the night frost and years had finally shown itself on the indefatigable man.

“I bring you here this fine evening for a great cause; a cause that will not only change your lives, but a life where your lives change the world. Each and every person here today is now an official member of The Movement. You have made it, for the betterment of mankind and for the betterment of mankind’s perpetual future, now known as The Movement, to symbolize mankind’s enduring journey to perfect this world we live in. Today marks day one of the official beginning to The Movement’s objectives. Today is your day!” announced President Barber, his voice echoing through the cheering crowd.

“It is our purpose!” he shouted.

The crowd before him had not settled their cheers.

Our purpose!” he reverberated, elongating his words in eloquent diction. “This wonderful cabinet and I have made incredible reforms which will reshape the foundations of not only The Movement, but the entire world. Each of you have earned the honor and privilege to be formally inducted into The Movement, reshaped and refined. On our behalf, each of you will enter your apartment complexes with a welcoming celebration party. Each of you will personally meet the governors of your complexes; afterwards, you will attend the dinner party commemorating The Movement’s wonderful reforms. Now, productive citizens, applaud yourselves for the bright futures of today!”

President Barber finished his speech, bowed and waved, then turned around to exit. He vanished below the stage just as quickly as he had emerged.