Chapter Six - Part 3

************

“Good morning, productive cabinet members,” announced President Barber with a refreshed smile on his face.

“Good morning, Mr. President,” replied the cabinet members in unison.

“Are we prepared to begin The Movement’s strides to perfection?” he asked, still with a wide grin, raising his arms to waist-level.

Troy stood up in his seat, nearest the president, towards the front of the room.

“Yes, President Barber, we are prepared to begin The Movement’s strides to perfection,” he said confidently.

“Dr. Cole? Are you prepared?” asked President Barber.

“Yes, sir. I am prepared, Mr. President,” he responded with a straight face.

“Perfect!” shouted a smiling President Barber, raising his arms above his head in jubilation. “Now, let’s get some goals laid out for us within a reasonable and obtainable timeframe. Remember, we’re working fast here. Very fast.”

Troy raised his hand.

“Yes, Mr. Duckworth?” asked President Barber, returning his raised arms flush against his waist.

“Sir, what do you consider fast? One year? Two years? Less? More?” asked Troy.

“I want all of these reforms to be fully implemented and enforced within the next six months. Not a day later,” he replied sternly. “Is there anyone in this room that believes that is unobtainable?”

Dr. Cole stood up.

“Mr. President, I am unsure of the level of radicalness you have in mind, but I am wholly confident in this cabinet’s ability to produce efficient work. I do not believe there is a task we cannot complete in due time,” he assured.

“Perfect!” shouted President Barber once more. “So,” he began, lowering his voice, “who wants to start? Any ideas for reforms that come to mind immediately?”

“Sir, I have one question that I believe is critical to my understanding of these radical reforms,” asked Dr. Erasmus Brand from the back of the room. “Right now, The Movement’s current population on the continent is two-hundred forty-eight million, seven-hundred thousand and eighty-nine. This number is down over one hundred million in the last twenty years. If these reforms are to be fully implemented within the next six months, what kind of population control am I devising here? What number are we striving to reach?”

“That is an excellent beginning point, Dr. Brand,” replied President Barber. “Mr. Duckworth, to meet the level of maximum productive capacity, what was your estimate for the continent’s total population?”

“Ninety million?” responded Troy with uncertainty.

Dr. Brand sank his eyes.

“Ninety million? How on earth are going to get down to ninety million people in six months? That seems nearly impossible!” he laughed.

“Dr. Brand, you and I will figure out a way. We will try to be pacific; but, what must be done must get done,” said President Barber, determined.

“Yes, sir,” replied Dr. Brand after a long pause.

“So, are there any suggestions to reach this first goal of ours?” asked President Barber.

The cabinet members looked down, scratching their heads and thinking hard. After several minutes of silence, Sergeant Holt raised his hand.

“Yes, Sergeant Holt?” asked President Barber.

“Well, Mr. President. If there is a way to assess each citizen’s level of loyalty to The Movement’s cause, we could exile those with the least interest in The Movement’s success,” he suggested.