Chapter Two - Part 7

************

“Troy! Troy! Wake up, Troy!” yelled his grandmother, shaking the little boy’s shoulder until he cracked his eyes.

“Wake up! We need to talk to you about something,” she went on fervently.

Sitting up, Troy looked around. His grandparents and three police officers stood before him. Realizing where he was once again, his mind slipped back into focus.

“Yeah, I’m awake now,” assured Troy, stretching his arms out over his head and letting out a long yawn.

“Look, Troy,” stated his grandfather, “we’re not going to beat around the parking lot here-your father was been badly hurt yesterday, and…”

“What!?” shouted Troy angrily, standing up from the bed. “What happened to him!? Is he okay!? Where is he!?”

“Troy, Troy, sit down please. This is going to be tough for all of us now. Just sit down, Troy,” Troy’s grandfather comforted, while his grandmother moved to hug her worried grandson. Grandfather continued, “He went to the rallies yesterday, and was badly injured. He didn’t make it, he’s in Heaven now with God, in good hands.”

Troy’s jaw dropped. He couldn’t believe it. He couldn’t fight it, nor did he try. Tears flowed from his eyes. But he didn’t make a sound. He just sat there hugging his grandmother with a strong, secure squeeze and cried. Only a few staccato sniffles occasionally broke the silence.