Chapter Four - Part 8

************

"So how did the interview go?" asked Kim excitedly.

Troy swallowed hard. He hated lying, especially to Kim, easily his closest friend, and crush.

"Uh, it went good," fibbed Troy, not flinching while staring ahead at the road, an obvious cover-up attempt.

"What's the matter? It didn't go well, did it?" asked Kim, looking at Troy with a stern look. "Troy, something is obviously wrong. Are you lying about something?"

Troy swallowed another gulp of guilt.

"Um, well," he began reluctantly. "Umm..." he struggled to formulate his words. "I...I...I kind of didn't go for an interview."

"You did what?" said Kim, frustrated and raising her voice.

She turned her body toward Troy, eyes widening with curious frustration.

"Why the heck did you drag me out across the country then?" she shouted.

"I'm sorry," said Troy quietly.

"Sorry for what? Huh? Sorry for what?" screamed Kim, interrogating Troy.

"I...I'm doing research about the rallies. I wanted you to come with me. I was scared. I've never drove this far before," said Troy, vying for sympathy.

Kim sat back in her seat, crossing her arms in disgustful anger.

"You could have just told me what you were driving to California for!" she shouted.

"I know, I know," said Troy regretfully. "But one other thing.... we need to stop in Oklahoma City and Chicago on our way back."

Kim sighed a long sigh of annoyance. She looked at Troy and shook her head. After a minute, she glared ahead.

"Well, I guess it's on the way at least. I could use a vacation, anyways," she said with agitated sarcasm.

Troy went on, describing his research project about the rallies. He told her of Dr. Cole's insight and his conversation in the sewer with Dr. Randall Billings. He told her about the government's silencer gun and DCP vehicle, and how it nearly squashed him like a bug. He explained Frank Edgar's arrest in Salt Lake City and Professor Barbara Gallagher in Oklahoma City. Kim sat, listening, intrigued, soaking it all in.

There was no going back now.