Chapter Eight - Part 9

************

Troy remained seated at President Barber’s desk. He reclined back in his chair and kicked his feet up onto the desk. He briefly closed his eyes to relax, then opened them quickly with a renewed sense to think. He noticed the candle next to his foot, then removed his feet from the desk. He stared at the candle. The flame flickered just above the shallow puddle of wax at the bottom of the glass vase. The flame sizzled, extinguished by making contact with the liquid wax. The small flame puffed into a thin cloud of black-grey smoke, streaming upwards into the air. Troy watched as the cloud spun and danced with life, then it vanished. Remembering what was happening, he fixated his Nanolense on The Palace’s cells.

Within a short moment, the Authorities stormed through the cell’s doors. Dozens of Major White’s soldiers held onto a chained, single-file line of hundreds of citizens. The Authorities slowly walked them into the cell, leading the snaking line along the walls as more and more citizens continued to fill the cell. The cell filled quickly as more and more citizens crammed inside with no apparent end. The Authorities quickly maneuvered their way out of the cell’s doors, leaving the chained citizens alone.

“Major White,” said Troy. “How many citizens have you brought to the cell?”

“We brought in two thousand four hundred sixteen, Mr. President,” he replied proudly.

“Great work, Major. Are there more out there?” he asked.

“Yes, Mr. President. There are a lot more!” he replied with enthusiasm.

Troy could tell Major White was antsy to go detain more and more citizens as quickly as he and his men could go.

“Where else can we detain the accused?” asked Troy.

“How about in front of The Palace? Across from the moat,” offered Major White.

“Hmm,” thought Troy. “Can we close the area off?”

“Of course, Mr. President! We can do anything we wish!” he grunted.

“Bring in as many as you can fit, Major. We had better be safe than sorry. We need to send the message to the citizens that The Movement will not tolerate this behavior. Work quickly,” ordered Troy.

“Yes, sir, Mr. President,” saluted Major White as he ran out of the cell’s corridors.