Chapter Eight - Part 2

************

“Mr. Duckworth,” said President Barber on Troy’s Nanolense. “Please, immediately report to my office.”

The president vanished from his vision. Troy leapt up from his desk chair and bolted out the door.

When he arrived at his office, President Barber sat quietly at his big oak desk, reclining back in his chair.

“President Barber,” panted Troy through heavy breaths. “What is it?”

“Mr. Duckworth, please, take a seat,” insisted President Barber, gesturing him towards the button-pinned chairs.

“Yes, sir, Mr. President,” he obeyed.

“Now,” began President Barber, stating Troy in the eyes. “I have some very important news I want you and only you to hear. What I am about to tell you must not be shared anywhere, with anyone. Ever. Is that clear?”

“Yes. Yes, sir,” he agreed.

“I am ill, Mr. Duckworth. I have just learned that I have a rare type of cancer that needs treatment immediately. But I can assure you that I’ll be fine,” he pledged. “Dr. Hill has a new remedy for this specific form of cancer. I am going into treatment tomorrow, then the major operation at the end of the week. I’ll be back and cancer free by the end of the month.”

Troy, wide-eyed, stared at the president from across the desk.

“So,” stuttered Troy as he searched for something to say.

“So nothing,” snapped President Barber. “So you are going to run The Movement in my absence. You don’t need to stress, Mr. Duckworth, you’re the most qualified citizen of The Movement and you will do a phenomenal job.”

Troy gleamed with satisfaction upon the President’s compliment.

“Mr. President, how do you expect no one to find out?” asked Troy.

“I simply won’t tell them, and neither will you or Dr. Hill,” he replied with a comforting smile.

“Yes, okay. What is it exactly that you would like me to do?” said Troy.

President Barber leaned forward in his chair, resting his elbows on the edge of the desk.

“You need to facilitate The Movement. Handle the daily operations and plan the events and tours for all my advisers to observe. I have a Learner who just graduated who will fill your observing position for the time,” he began.

“Sir, Mr. President,” interjected Troy. “If I am relieved of my observations, Complex D will know right away that something is different. We must stick to the same plan; I have to continue my observation tours.”

President Barber grinned.

“Mr. Duckworth, you’re already making logical decisions any great leader would make. I knew you were the best man for the job. You’ll start tomorrow,” said the president.

“Yes, sir,” responded Troy with dizzying smile, attempting to conceal his excitement and nervousness.