Chapter Five - Part 1

Chapter Five

“Troy?” asked Jessica’s soft voice.

“Troy?” she spoke louder, shaking his shoulder with no response.

“Babe, wake up,” she groaned.

She leaned forward in her seat to rest her head on Troy’s chest. It was moving up and down with serene breaths of life. Exhausted from the waiting, Jessica began to snooze off, slightly twitching her fingers.

Interrupting Jessica’s nap, the nurse marched into the room with a small tray of mashed vegetables and juice for Troy.

“Dinner time!” she squealed, happier than usual.

Jessica snapped her head up from Troy’s chest, struck by the nurse’s sudden entrance.

“How’s handsome doing?” asked the old nurse through a sly grin.

“I...I don’t know, really. He’s been sleeping all day!” replied Jessica.

“It looks like you may have been sleeping too, missy,” joked the nurse.

“Yeah, I haven’t been sleeping much this week. I’m so used to sleeping with Troy I can’t fall asleep at night,” she said.

“Oh, honey, he’ll be better in no time. Just make sure he takes this here pill, alrighty?” said the nurse.

“Right, I’ll make sure he takes it with his dinner,” she said.

“Oh, let’s wake him up for dinner while it’s still warm,” suggested the nurse.

Jessica acquiesced, knowing that the nurse would not leave unless she followed her suggestions.

The old nurse walked to the side of the cot opposite Jessica, her hand emerging from her coat pocket with a long, thin needle.

“He just needs a little prick! That’s all. He’ll be up ‘n at ‘em in no time for chow time!” she joked again.

The nurse grabbed Troy’s hand, shifting her grip down to his pointer finger. Examining his fingertip for a split-second, the nurse nodded and quickly pricked Troy’s finger with the needle.

“Huh!” gasped Troy, shocked by the needle’s rude awakening.

“Good afternoon, honey. How was your little nap there?” asked the nurse in chipper tone.

“Huh? Uh, it was alright,” said Troy, still groggy from his long hiatus.

“She’s got dinner for you, babe,” interjected Jessica.

The old nurse glared over at Jessica, then refocused her attention at Troy.

“Honey, I have you some warm supper. A nice warm cup of mashed veggies for you,” added the nurse.

“Thank you, thank you,” said Troy.

“Just make sure you take your pill afterwards, it’s right there on the side,” advised the nurse.

“Yes, ma’am. I’ll make sure of that,” confirmed Troy, nodding.

“Goodnight!” said the nurse as she strolled out of the room, waving the blue curtains out from her face.

“Ugh, I hate that old tramp,” quipped Jessica as she fed Troy a spoonful helping of his dinner.

“What? You hate her?” asked Troy, surprised. “She’s a little different, but she’s just old, that’s all, babe.”

“Yeah, I guess. But you don’t see the looks she gives me, they’re nasty!” she said.

“That’s one thing girls never let go. Always giving other girls dirty looks, even at your guys’ age,” he said.

“My age? What do you mean by my age?” asked Jessica, sarcastically insulted.

“Babe, let it go. Just ignore her, geez,” said Troy, annoyed.

“Should I leave you two alone tonight?” joked Jessica.

“Please, gosh, please no,” pleaded Troy while he sloshed the veggie mush around in his mouth.

Finishing up his one-serving dinner, Troy leaned back in his seat.

“You don’t want your fortune cookie?” asked Jessica.

“Nah, I’ll wait. I’m kind of full,” said Troy as he rubbed his belly.

“Alright, I thought you’d love it for desert, but I guess not,” said Jessica.

“It’s not that, I’m just really full and I feel sick. I haven’t left this blasted bed in days,” complained Troy.

“I know, I know. You’ll be all better soon though,” encouraged Jessica. “But, um, what were you doing that day you were shot?”

Troy closed his eyes. He tried to ignore her question. He hadn’t thought of what he’d tell his wife yet. Instead of lying and devising some wild pretense on the spot, Troy took the safe road.

“I...I don’t...I don’t remember. It seems so long ago already,” lied Troy through an artificial grimace.

“That’s ok, babe. We’ll find out what happened sooner or later,” comforted Jessica, kissing his forehead.

“Thanks, love. Why don’t you take my fortune cookie home with you, eat it for dessert,” suggested Troy.

“That’s the silliest thing I’ve ever heard!” giggled Jessica. “But if you insist; when you’re recovered I’ll remind you of your romantic gesture.”

“Just take it,” urged Troy, blushing and rubbing his eyes with his knuckles.

Troy picked up the small pill from his food tray. He took a small sip of water and tossed the pill into his mouth.

“I swear, I’m addicted to these things now,” joked Troy, yet serious.

“Oh, stop it. Go to sleep now. Goodnight, I love you, babe,” said Jessica.

“Love you too, see you tomorrow,” replied Troy, shutting his eyes for the night to return to sleep.

Jessica leaned over and kissed Troy on his forehead again. Grabbing the fortune cookie from the food tray, she turned and walked through the blue curtains. On her walk to the parking lot, she cracked open her fortune cookie and popped a piece into her mouth. Still noshing on the snack, she unfolded the fortune tucked inside. The note read:

         REMEMBER, ALL TRUTHS WILL BE REVEALED.