Chapter Five - Part 7

“Good morning, Mr. Duckworth!” greeted a hologram of Major White.

Troy popped up in his bed, alerted by Major White’s volume.

“Yes, sir. Thank you,” he said as he sat up in bed.

Major White continued in his staccato tone: “It is four-thirty on this fine morning. There will be an usher waiting outside Barber Hall in thirty-five minutes. President Barber is expecting you at five-thirty.”

“Thank you, Major White,” said Troy, lifting his knees in the air and placing his feet on the ground beside his bed.

After getting prepared and dressed in his charcoal suit, Troy headed out from his room and made his way down the hallway. The usher, in his white suit, waited outside the complex. His hands were relaxed, crossing out in front of him directly below his navel.

“Good morning, Mr. Duckworth,” said the usher.

“Good morning, sir. Say, what is your name? Or should I just keep calling you “sir?”” asked Troy with a smile.

The usher looked at Troy with surprise.

“Well, you may call me ‘sir,’ but my name is Richard Wright. Either moniker will do,” he requested.

“Well it’s good to see you this morning, Mr. Wright, sir,” smiled Troy.

“It is a fine morning. Let’s get you to The Palace,” quipped Mr. Wright in his deep tone.

Mr. Wright led Troy down to the train station once again. They boarded the bottom car of the double-decked train. Troy inspected the endless lines of windmills through the window. Shortly after, the windmills began to spin. Troy knew the train had started moving now, and with ever increasing speed.

Upon arrival, Mr. Wright rose up from his seat. He waited for Troy to stand, then exited the car. Again, the hover platform awaited them. The two made their way across the moat to the palace in silence.

“Are you nervous, Mr. Duckworth?” asked Mr. Wright, breaking the long silence.

Leaning against the platform’s railing observing the waters below, Troy peered over his shoulder.

“I suppose I am,” he confided.

“That’s a good sign, Mr. Duckworth. It means it matters to you, as it should. We all get nervous around the things that matter the most to us,” said Mr. Wright, stepping onto the dock.

Troy nodded and smiled as he stepped off the hover platform and onto the dock. The large palace doors opened slowly. This time, Mr. Wright began entering The Palace before the doors were fully opened, but the immensity of the doors allowed a large gap when only halfway cracked.

Mr. Wright led Troy down the decorative hallway. Twelve hours had passed since Troy’s first walk down this computerized hallway, yet Troy felt like he’d seen it a hundred times already. Mr. Wright turned and walked down the hallway, exiting The Palace.

“Welcome Mr. Duckworth! And congratulations on your very first day as a member of the official vanguard of The Movement!” welcomed an exuberant President Barber as he emerged from the shadowy curvatures of the large oval room.

He donned his usual military garb and walked with a steady confidence.

“Thank you, Mr. President,” replied Troy, unable to resist a smile.

President Barber continued his path up to Troy and stopped in front of him. He put his hands flat against his sides and wiped his smile from his face. Troy stood still with a slight grin.