Chapter Four - Part 9

************

"Troy!" shouted Kim, anxious to attend the rallies.

Troy woke up on her first, loud word.

"Yeah, I'm up," he responded quickly, not to annoy Kim any further.

The two exited the car and headed to the rallies, in search of Professor Gallagher.

"Ok," said Kim. "So long black hair, small nose, thick lips, blue eyes," she repeated three times.

"Yes, Kim. You got it right. I don't know though, she may be disguised, especially after Frank Edgar's arrest the other day," said Troy.

"We'll find her. How hard can it be? There's two of us looking for one lady with long black hair, a small nose," began Kim.

"I got it, Kim. You've firmly established what she looks like," interrupted Troy. "And trust me, it's much harder than you think. There are so many people at the rallies, it's like a sea of faces jumping and blending together."

"Sh. What's that sound?" asked Kim, stopping in her tracks.

"I told you," said Troy, continuing to walk past Kim's halt, then turning towards her and walking backwards. "That's how the rallies are, you always hear it before you see it."

Troy and Kim approached the rear of the rally, Kim's jaw dropped at the sight of the immense crowd and volume. Troy grabbed Kim's hand, leading her into the dense mass of jumping bodies. Attempting to emulate Dr. Billings's swiftness, but failing, Troy pushed and squeezed his way through the jumble. Troy and Kim scoured the faces of the protesters in search of Professor Gallagher. Kim grimaced as she followed Troy's lead, the amplification of the rally muting her hearing. Now with one rally's experience, Troy expected the deafening chants, acting as if he were now a veteran rally-goer.

Again, the protesters were stubborn to move for anything, including Troy, who was sweating profusely amid the trapping heat between tens of thousands of shouting, angry protesters. Kim's eye caught a black-haired female figure in the crowd.

"Troy!" she screamed with all her might, but to no avail.

Kim could barely hear her own voice over the deafening chants echoing off the ubiquitous bodies blockading her vision. She squeezed and tugged on Troy's hand, pulling him in the direction of the female she believed to be Professor Gallagher.

How swiftly they moves! thought Troy, jealous of Kim's and Dr. Billings's abilities as he followed their lead. Why is it so hard for me to slice through the crowd like that?

Weaving in between the bobbing bodies, Troy followed behind Kim blindly. Suddenly, the rush stopped, Troy butting into Kim after she stopped meters away from Professor Gallagher.

"Barbara!" shouted Kim.

Troy pulled her down below the crowd and shunned her to not ever yell anyone's name, especially a leader like Professor Gallagher. Troy then took the lead, shouldering his way through the last few living obstacles blocking him from his next important inside source.

Expecting her to dart away through the crowd as Dr. Billings did, Troy became surprised when she stood in place, making for an easy approach. Troy took out his small notepad, scribbled "TROY" on the surface, and elbowed the professor to get her attention. Professor Gallagher moved away at the sharp jut into her side, glaring at Troy with a look of disgust and surprise. Her small nose and thick lips verified her identity despite the large dark sunglasses masking her bright blue eyes.

Professor Gallagher pinched her sunglasses and peered over the top of the lenses, disclosing her identity for a split second before reaffixing her sunglasses on her face with a slight, cool grin. Professor Gallagher grabbed Troy's hand and led him through the crowd with astonishing speed. Reaching back for Kim, Troy was pulled away through the crowd, leaving Kim behind with her head turned away for a split second too long. She had been left behind in the frenzied crowd; when- if she ever turned around- she would believe Troy had vanished. He never got to see her stunned reaction, as Professor Gallagher's swift maneuvering eliminated the chance to go back for her. But he couldn't risk losing Dr. Gallagher. She was lost-somewhere-in the masses.