Chapter Six - Part 8

************

President Barber reclined in his chair as he waited for Dr. Kara Madison’s arrival. Troy sat across from the president, leaning forward with his hands clasped to each cheek. Silence filled the large office, except for the crescendo drumming of the president’s impatient fingers on his desk. The rhythmic thrumming was interrupted by the president’s long overdue sigh. Troy removed his hands from his face and peered up at the president.

“Remind me what time she was scheduled to report,” demanded President Barber, swiveling around in his chair to face George Washington’s timeless portrait.

“I told her to report at seven,” affirmed Troy.

“And what time is it now?” asked the president.

“It is seven-ten, sir,” he answered.

“Then why is she not here yet?” asked the president.

“I don’t know sir, I,”

“Why is she not here?” shouted President Barber, interrupting Troy’s excuse.

“Sir, I,” attempted Troy again.

“I don’t want to hear your sorry excuses, Mr. Duckworth!” he roared. “We are on a timely schedule. I can never earn back this wasted time, never! If there was any doubt she would report late, you should have sent out a dispatch to retrieve her.”

“Yes, sir,” said Troy as he sulked and lowered his head in ignominy.

President Barber swiveled back around in his chair, again facing the sorrowful Troy.

KnockKnock. KnockKnock.

Troy jumped up from his chair and zoomed down the carpet path to the door, opening it with enough force to knockout a moose with his elbow.

“Hello, sir,” smiled Dr. Madison.

Her hair was white with age and her face was wrinkled with experience. Her throat skin sagged well below her chin. She wore a purple dress and hat with a white pearl necklace.

“Do you know you’re over ten minutes late, Ms. Madison?” sneered Troy.

“Oh yes, I apologize. I had a little trouble passing through the crowds out front,” she replied.

“What crowds?” he asked, unaware.

“Oh, you know, the large crowds of people out in front of The Palace,” she laughed.

“What? Since when is there a,”

“Welcome to my office, Ms. Madison,” interrupted President Barber. “I apologize for Mr. Duckworth’s incompetent scheduling.”

Dr. Madison smirked as she sat down and removed her white satin gloves.

“Well, as I was explaining to,”

“Mr. Duckworth,” assisted the president as he nodded and smiled back.

“Yes, yes. As I was explaining to Mr. Duckworth, I had a bit of trouble fiddling through the large crowds out in front of The Palace,” she continued.

“Large crowds, you say? Out in front of my palace?” concerned the president.

“Oh yes, yes. There must be several thousands of them out there, causing a ruckus,” she explained.

“Did you hear anything they were saying, by chance?” asked President Barber.

“Oh, yes. They were yelling loudly,” she said.