Chapter Eight - Part 8

************

Nine citizens of The Movement stood in front of the desk in Troy’s office: six males and three females.

 Troy remained in President Barber’s office. He called their nine Nanolenses.

“Productive citizens of The Movement,” he began, appearing as President Barber. “I have heard that you have caused quite a stir as of late. Please, explain to me your harshness.”

Of the nine citizens lined up across Troy’s Nanolense, a female from the right end stepped forward. She was short, with medium-length blonde hair, and a young face, although she was clearly in her mid-twenties.

“Mr. President,” she began through a strong, intimidating voice. “We know about the New Castle Disease you and the Department of Defense have spread to The City. We know because we helped devise the cure for it in Dr. Hill’s laboratory. We also know that The City did not have this medicine, and that we did not offer it to them under the terms of surrender-if The Movement even offered surrender as an option. So, Mr. President, are the inhabitants of The City extinct? Or did they truly surrender?”

“What is your name, ma’am?” asked Troy politely.

“Thomas. Jessica Thomas,” she replied, standing akimbo.

“Yes, that’s right. Jessica Thomas, what you say is, in fact, true. I am no liar to anybody who serves The Movement as nobly as you. We have exterminated The City’s inhabitantsfrom existence, and the ship is now being overtaken and disinfected for The Movement’s use,” said Troy.

Jessica Thomas stared blankly through her Nanolense at President Barber’s hologram. Taken aback by his honesty, she paused for a moment to think.

“I appreciate your honesty, Mr. President. But I completely disagree with The Movement’s actions,” she opined.

“And what would you like to do about it?” asked Troy.

“I would like to secede from The Movement, Mr. President, as all nine of us would like to. We want to begin our own peaceful movement. We wholeheartedly disagree with The Movements violent reforms, and wish to leave The Movement in peace,” she explained further.

“So the nine of you are going to secede from The Movement, the largest and most powerful nation on earth, and start anew?” asked Troy.

“Yes, Mr. President. Although there are only nine of us here in front of you, the story is circulating around The Movement quickly. I’m sure there will be more citizens whom wish to secede after today,” said Jessica Thomas.

“Very well. Your thoughts are the cause of your condition. For the safety of you and The Movement’s progress, we will keep you in the cells tonight,” said Troy.

“Mr. President!” she shouted back. “We demand that you do not imprison us!”

“Ms. Thomas,” replied Troy calmly. “That is not what is happening. Trust me.”

Troy watched through President Barber’s Nanolense as a group of twenty Authority figures, dressed in gaudy black uniforms with visors and helmets, burst through Troy’s office door and grabbed the nine citizens from behind, dragging them out of the office and taking them to the cells.

Troy leaned back in his chair once again, thinking hard about his choices.

“Major White,” said Troy over President Barber’s Nanolense. “I need you to cancel Project Cuba. Postpone it until further notice.”

“What?” questioned Major White, surprised. “The operational plans are nearly complete, Mr. President,”

“Do as I command!” retorted Troy, raising his voice in impatient anger.

“Yes, sir. Yes, sir, Mr. President,” trembled Major White.

“The capture of The City has ignited heavy resistance throughout The Movement. We must not anger the citizens any further. Do you understand, Major?” asked Troy.

“Yes, sir,” he obeyed against his will. “I will cancel the project immediately. What are we to do about the revolt?”

“I want you to arrest any and every citizen under suspicion. Effective immediately,” ordered Troy.

“Yes, sir,” grinned Major White through glowing excitement. “I will send out my men promptly.”

“Reserve The Movement’s CleanTrain for all arrests. I need you to send them directly to The Palace’s cells,” explained Troy.

“Yes, sir, Mr. President,” said Major White before disappearing from Troy’s Nanolense.

“Mr. Duckworth?” greeted Dr. Hill on Troy’s Nanolense in a panic. “What do you think you are doing?”

“It’s under control, Dr. Hill. It’s under control,” calmed Troy.

“Under control?” repeated Dr. Hill. “Under control? How is this under control? Do you realize what your ‘special announcement’ has done? Why did you announce The City to the citizens? There are dozens of complexes in revolt because of it!”

“Revolt? It’s mild revolt, at worst. There are only a few cases, the worst being a man not showing up for work in protest. I have The Authorities on their way to detain them immediately, Dr. Hill,” explained Troy.

“Detain them?” he shouted. “How are you going to detain tens of thousands, maybe more, in those cells all at once? They only hold several thousand people at a time!”

“Dr. Hill!” shouted Troy in return. “I have the situation under control!”

“President Barber is not going to approve of your work, Mr. Duckworth. That’s all I have to say to you,” he said before exiting his Nanolense.