The Power of Persuasion

"Well, you see, there's an added benefit to being the ruler over the cards. There's a negative side, as well, but it's not as bad as it could be. You see if the ace failed, the ruler could transport themselves to the surface world and convince the cards. They could only do this five times, and they could only stay for a day on the surface each time. Meaning, they would only go onto the surface if it was absolutely necessary. Granted, they rarely had to do this because of the power given to them. This power consists of the ability to persuade any card member to do their bidding."

Hearing this, you paled slightly at its implications, "That doesn't make sense. If the ruler could've done that, why didn't they just persuade the rebelling cards?"

"You didn't let me finish, ace. This power also has a restriction. The ruler can only use it on twenty-three individuals. Afterwards, they can longer charm another. Thus, that is why they couldn't stop the rebellion. That is why the Queen of Diamonds left the ruler behind, because she couldn't say "no" to them. Likewise, this is why the ruler's trusted ace never failed in their task, because their ruler persuaded them to not stop until they succeeded unless the situation became too dire. Now, is that all? I have some other business I wish to attend to."

"Yes, but what exactly would you need to attend to? Like you stated, there's no more numbers to follow you nor is there any reason to worry about a rebellion," you mentioned, not liking the smile taking a hold of her lips.

"I'm surprised you haven't figured it out. Remember me mentioning that I need to give my throne to you? Well, I don't exactly like that requirement that the past Queen of Diamonds tried to install. Thankfully, it's not mandatory. Besides, I still want to meddle a bit in the world below."

"What do you mean by meddle?" you questioned in a slightly worried tone.

"You're not angered by the fact that I want to remain on the throne. You did all of those tests, no? I'm sure you want your just reward."

"I don't want to have that power. There may be a time, when that would come in handy, but I don't want to force someone to do something against their will. I would be hypocritical in such an act, since I myself would hate being made to do something. I would like to read more about the history, but that's it. So, now, tell me what you mean by "meddle"?"

Her smile turned into a smirk before she started laughing. "You really mean that, don't you? Dear goodness, your sense of nobility is touching if not comical. Turning away such a gift is so foolish. Why with it you can always look forward to a grand show. You can meddle in others' lives and get results that wouldn't have been possible before."

Frankly, you didn't like where this was going. Granted, if the brothers didn't have a curse placed on them and their personality was entirely natural, you could very easily see who they would've took after. Still, the brothers possessed a quality of care that this woman clearly lacked. Even though you had just met her, you could tell that she had little respect for another's life just by the way she talked.

"You can only go to the surface five times, though," you countered, as the brothers kept close to you.

"Too true, but I chose my victims specifically, so that each time I would get a splendid result. Take for instance my daughter; I was the one after all who forced her into the art of necromancy. Moreover, when I went to visit her, I found her married. Thus, I found it all too fitting to persuade her husband as well, and look what happened; they revived the jacks and caused a man to have his heart broken! Likewise, persuading the Queen of Clovers at the time, Chroma, to pursue her dream of reaching another world was delicious. All the tragedy she caused was so satisfying."

"That doesn't add up. How could you see those things from up here? Moreover, how did you not know then that they're your grandsons?" you questioned, stunned at the things you were hearing.

"Simple, there are binoculars imbued with sight-seeing magic. Our ancestors created them for the ruler, so they didn't feel too excluded from the world. I just choose the pair I want, and I can see the location on the surface of Province. They're not in this room, but the one above here. As for your other question, I can't monitor everything. It would seem I missed their birth and never made the connection before now."

"How could you cause all of that? You obviously saw the prices that everyone had to pay for your actions. How can you sit up there and grin? Your own grandsons lost their parents thanks to your meddling. Moreover, they were cursed with a sadistic desire for entertainment. A friend of mine, the current Queen of Spades, lost her mentor and close friend. Mermaids and villagers were turned into new forms against their will. All of that rests on your head, and you dare to smile about it?"

"You're forgetting one little detail there, ace. If it weren't for my meddling, Chroma would've never transported you to this world, and you would've never met my grandsons. I think I earn some points for that."

"Maybe, but perhaps if you hadn't convinced your daughter of practicing necromancy, they wouldn't have a curse placed upon them. Perhaps, they could've known their parents," you started and would've continued if it weren't for the brothers resting their hands on your shoulders.

"Miss ____, there's no need to go on. We now know of her acts, and we also know that she's part of the reason we met you. I will gladly deal with this curse and accept the fact that I will only know my parents through stories if it means keeping you here with my brother and me."

"Precisely, my dear lady, besides we now have learned that our parents weren't so bad after all. Furthermore, we have discovered that there is someone crazier than us, which is rather reassuring," Heart added, as he stood on your left.

A small laugh left your lips at his comment, but it didn't last long, since you were still aware of the woman sitting in the throne chair. Both brothers had their attention on her, now, as well. Glancing between the two, you saw that they weren't exactly pleased by their grandmother's words. The way they gripped your shoulders made that all the more evident.

"Hmm, it's a pity you managed to get my two grandsons attached to you. They would've been so much fun to mess with had they no care for another. Then again, this could be equally entertaining. I mean having you as my personal servants will be quite the treat."Before any of you could react to implication, she locked her gaze with Diamond's reddish-orange orbs, commanding, "Now, my grandson, won't you bow before me and properly introduce yourself."

It only took a few seconds before Diamond was following her order, though, his facial expression was one of shock and developing anger. As he was giving her his name, she turned over to Heart. This time, however, you were prepared. Quickly, you covered his blue eyes with your right hand, just as she started to call out her demand. To your relief, Heart didn't obey it. With your discovery, you figured Oriana left out that little detail in her description of the ruler's power. Thus, you didn't look over at her and told Heart to do the same. Before you could get to Diamond, though, she already issued him another command, since his eyes were still held by her gaze in that moment of time. You didn't like what you heard.

"Well, Diamond, be a dear and entertain me. Why don't you start off by fighting your brother? Spill some blood before me," she voiced with a malicious grin.
Stepping in front of Heart, you focused your attention on the red-haired male, yelling, "Diamond, don't even think about it. I know you don't want to do this; I can see it clearly in your eyes. So, try to fight the command she gave you."

When he unsheathed the saber at his side, you could see that reasoning with him wouldn't work. Until he fulfilled her request, he wouldn't stop, yet you could see the pain in his eyes. Heart stepped out from behind you and gave you a small smile, unsheathing his own weapon.

"My dear lady, you must stop her. She may have been my grandmother, but after this stunt, she no longer is. No one gives my brother such a command. She caused trouble for others, but now she has crossed the line. If things get out of hand, however, you must follow through with what we planned before coming here. You cannot let her demand you to do anything. Do you understand me?"

Even with his back facing you, you saw his right hand, which was holding the saber, trembling. You didn't want to know what his countenance looked like. It was most likely torture for both of them, and like Heart stated, you needed to stop this. Keeping your eyes on the ground, you only told him to be careful before stepping forward some. This battle was surely going to test you.

"Oh? You intend to fight me without looking at me. Now that should prove interesting. Still, I desired to watch the fight between my two grandsons. I wanted you to watch as well; I wanted to see the look of despair cross your face, as your two companions tore each other apart."

"Just be quiet! You've done enough already, and I will make sure you do no more."