Do we have a deal?

Thinking of a deal you could make with the brothers wasn't an easy task. Every time you came up with a new idea, it would always result in something worse than what the brothers had planned for you. They wouldn't be satisfied with anything unless they knew that it was something you didn't like. Perhaps, a deal that didn't cost you too much was an impossible dream, when it concerned the two twins in front of you. Resting your chin in the palm of your left hand, you watched as the duo continued their game of matching cards. So far, Heart was winning with nine pairs, but Diamond was only one pair behind his brother. If they ended up tying, you didn't know what the end result would be. Frankly, you didn't want to think about it.

Directing your focus over towards the quarterdeck, you glanced upwards in order to see the Captain at the wheel. Her right hand was over her eyes, blocking the sun's rays partially. She looked quite concentrated on what lay ahead. Following her orange gaze, you noticed the faintest of outlines in the sky above. Recalling the text you read on this world, you instantly identified the shapes to be transparent clouds. They were only visible against the blue background due to the thin line of grey, which highlighted their edges. Moreover, you recalled Iris mentioning that storms were abundant this season. It was strange thinking that a possible storm could be on the way, when all you saw were grey outlines in the blue sky. If you weren't looking carefully, you would consider it to be a perfectly sunny day.

Soon, Captain Nichola signaled one of the crew members over. Captain Nichola turned to look at the short male before resting her right hand on the wheel while her left hand lay on her left hip. The man took a few seconds before he began pointing towards the direction of the possible storm while making a few hand gestures. She seemed to consider his words for a moment before she nodded and sent him away. You could easily see the look of relief on her face after he left. A few other crew members glanced over at their captain, clearly wondering what action they should take next.

She proceeded to state that the storm would remain on the south side of the island for the day, and that they would be safe, since they were only going to be on the west side. The worry in the air washed away, and everyone returned to their former tasks. As for you, you looked back at the game the brothers were playing. Heart had snatched a few more pairs, but Diamond had attained three. They were now tied with each other, and there were only eight cards left.

It didn't take long before the cards were claimed, and the brothers remained tied. The moment the game ended, they both turned their gazes your way, which sent a shiver up your spine. Now would be your only chance to come up with some sort of deal. Seeing that Diamond was about to say something, you knew you had no time left. Thus, you speedily cut him off.

"Wait, how about we change what you two win?"

Instantly, both twins shared a look among themselves before looking back at you. Heart had a slight smirk planted on his face while Diamond merely seemed intrigued by your suggestion. Realizing that they weren't going to say anything until you explained, you continued.

"I was thinking that instead of the previous prize, you two could feed me for the rest of the day. It's a fair deal, right?"

In your opinion it was a great offer. You hated it, when the two would try to feed you any meal. Besides, this would prove incredibly beneficial to you. If you avoided eating for the rest of the day, then they couldn't try feeding you. Likewise, you had eaten some dried fruits and nuts an hour ago on the wagon. Thus, you felt confident that you could last until the end of the day. Then again, if you had to deal with mermaids, you might not last until tomorrow. Regardless, even if you couldn't avoid them feeding you, it would be better than the alternative. On the positive side of this deal, you did get food in the end.

"No bargain, my dear lady. We can feed you at any time we please. Besides, what if we get caught in a fight with the mermaids? We could end up not eating for the rest of the day, making the deal rather useless to us."

"On another note, Miss ____, we could technically kiss you at anytime as well. We're merely playing this game to settle the matter of whose kiss you enjoyed more. Thus, your deal has no relevance to what we were asking you earlier. Granted, you could've avoided this current situation by giving us a straight answer before we started the game."

"So you see, my dear lady, you have no escape. My brother and me will have our question answered now," the blue-haired male stated before making the motion to stand up.

Red beginning to tint your cheeks, you threw your hands in front of you and asked them to stop. Noticing that they weren't going to stop, your mind raced for some sort of idea to save you from this predicament. When Heart grabbed your left wrist and Diamond took your right, you felt yourself lifted upwards. They released you before snapping their fingers and causing the cards on the ground to disappear. In the next second, they had you back in their grip.

"Wait," you called out, "can't we settle this, when we reach the island?"

Each twin stopped in their tracks before letting go of your wrists. Diamond rested his right thumb against his lips while the rest of his right fingers were curled. His countenance displayed emotions of confusion and shock, as though he was questioning what you just said. As for Heart, he looked like he couldn't believe his ears. Furthermore, you caught sight of a red tint on both of their cheeks. Wondering what was so strange about your question, you reviewed it in your head once more before your cheeks burned crimson.

"I didn't mean it like that!"

"Then what did you mean, Miss ______?" Diamond asked, averting his gaze away from you.

"I merely meant that it would be embarrassing to have either of you kiss me in front of so many strangers," you mumbled, now staring at your feet.

Combing his right fingers through his hair, Diamond peered over at Heart, who nodded at him. They both seemed to have a silent agreement before the blush on their cheeks vanished. Wishing that they hadn't made such an assumption from your words, you continued to look at your feet.

"We'll be fine with that," Diamond said before lifting your chin up with his left index finger. "Now, shall we go enjoy the ocean view?"

"I suppose," you muttered, as you pushed his finger away and followed the two back over to the wooden railing of the ship.

Leaning on the wood, you watched as the blue water rolled by. Some of it splashed up against the side of the ship, occasionally sending sprays of mist up towards you. It was refreshing and distracted you from the fate that awaited you on the island. Likewise, it helped you forget that the twins were on either side of you. There were times, though, when you would steal a glance at one of them. Both looked to be lost in their own thoughts while they enjoyed the view of the sea. Thus, you would relish the sight as well.

Off in the distance, you could see the fish species exocoetidae breaking the surface of the water. Their wing-like fins spread out, permitting them to glide above the water for a considerable distance before going back under. The sunlight hit the water, they sent into the air, just right, causing it to look like miniature crystals while the flying fish's scales sparkled in the same light. A few others performed an identical act closer to the boat, allowing you to increase your admiration of their beauty.

Over the course of the next few hours, you would see some more of the fish; however, the approaching island began to distract you. Soon, you would have to step upon that sand and deal with the brothers. At the same time, though, you would be closer to your destination. The song mentioned stopping mermaids, but it didn't state how. Moreover, how would they hold the secret to getting to Rinned? Maybe the clue was in the cave they stayed in. If that were the case, you would somehow have to convince the mermaids to let you explore their home.

Of course, there was the option of just fighting them, but they would most likely dart into the water where they had the advantage. Hopefully, you wouldn't have to halt them in that way. Persuasion would be the better option, but they would have to listen to you. Presumably, they wouldn't be like the ones you encountered around the Land of Amusement. Those creatures were incapable of listening to you due to Chroma's tampering.

When the boat reached the docks on the island, one of the crew members threw the anchor over while Captain Nichola descended the steps, which led up to the quarterdeck. With the ship being docked, Iris waved goodbye to Daren before rejoining the three of you. Her grin greatly contradicted the frown on Daren's countenance. You only saw that frown for a moment before he went over to the board, which was previously connecting the ship to the docks at the city of Mareandaqua. Now, it attached the ship to the island's docks. After the Captain wished you all safe travels, she whispered into your right ear to not get into too much trouble. Blushing at this, you stuttered somewhat before saying goodbye to her and getting off the ship.