Out

After you couldn't wait any longer, you stood up from your sitting position, as if standing could help you see below the water better. The palms of your hands rested on the tops of your daggers while your left foot tapped impatiently. You were starting to count the seconds that they were under there, though that did little to ease your mind. No red hues reached the surface, which was somewhat reassuring. Then again due to the shimmering surface, you doubted you would be able to anything unless you went into the water. Finding yourself now glaring at the water, you noticed two familiar faces come out of the water. Heart and Diamond stepped out of the water and seemingly collapsed on the stairs, as they caught their breath. Both had red stains on their clothing and drops of red hit the stone stairs.

Letting out a sigh of relief, you leaned against the wall and relaxed your hands. When you glanced at them again, you were thankful that they had received no injuries. All of the red was just from the lizard-fishes. The three of you still had to go back through the ride from the looks of it and those clowns would surely put up a fight.

"My dear lady, let's hope that no more clues involve underwater battles. They're really not my cup of tea," he mentioned, resting his head in his hands.

"I can't guarantee anything, but where is the piece of paper with the drawing on it?" you questioned, realizing now that it may be ruined from the water.

"It's in your right pants pocket, Miss ____. Heart slipped it in there before we jumped into the water."

Hearing this, you reached into the pocket and did indeed pull out the piece of paper. The drawing of the ring was a perfect image of the actual object. Next to it were the words inscribed on the inside of the ring. Relieved, you placed it back in your pocket.

"Thank you by the way. I don't know why the ring and chain suddenly attacked me, but ..."

"Miss ____, we promised ourselves that we wouldn't let you die on us. There's no need to thank us, but it's still appreciated. We're sorry that we took so long though. We're not used to fighting underwater and we're sorry to have caused you worry."

"Well, just don't take so long if you to go underwater again," you grumbled with a light blush on your face.

You were hoping you weren't that easy to read, but apparently your wish wasn't granted. Pushing yourself off the wall, you held your two hands out. The brothers glanced at you at questioningly, but decided not to let go of the opportunity. Thus, they both grabbed your hands, as you pulled them up. Once they were standing, you released their hands and began walking back up the steps. Personally, you didn't want to go back through the ride, but you had little choice in the matter.

"By the way, we did discover, or at least we assumed we did, why the ring and chain struck at you. On one of stones by the ring, there was a four written. We presumed that the number indicated the amount of time one would have before it attacked. Granted, we could be wrong, but it seemed a logical conclusion," Heart mentioned, as he walked behind you.

"Well, I don't want to go back in to find out, so I'll take your word for it," you responded, glad to be farther away from the water.

                                                                                   ~~~~~~~~~~

Surprisingly, when the three of you exited the stairwell, after pushing in a button that was at the top of the stairs, there were no clowns anywhere. You could still hear the cackling, but it was quieter and some distance away. They must have gotten bored watching a stump and figured it better to return to the beginning of the ride. Moreover, the boat you took in was now long gone, but the brothers summoned a new one in its place.

Thus, the three of you proceeded into the boat and carried on down the ride. You were constantly watching for one of the clowns to appear, but they never did. The rest of the ride was filled with the animatronics and bright lights along with the background music and terrible pipes accompanying it. With this in mind, you just relaxed in the seat of the boat. Heart was resting his arms on the back of your seat and currently running his left fingers through your hair. It felt soothing and so you permitted him to continue, though if he tried anything he would find himself back in the water. If that were to occur, you wouldn't be worried like the last time. As for Diamond, he seemed to be lost in thought, which had you slightly worried. For all you knew, he could be plotting something against you, for making him wear a dress.

Now that you thought back to it, he did look pretty hilarious in the dark pink flared article of clothing. It didn't help that the dress was too small for him. That image would probably never leave your memory and you had no problem with that. If only you had taken a picture. With a small smile tugging at your lips, you looked ahead and waited for the ride to finish. This smile however didn't go unnoticed by Diamond. He could tell that you were ready to laugh at something in your memory and he had a good idea of what. Then again he would pay you back kindly. Having him wear that awful thing was a mistake that you would come to regret and the thought brought a smile to his own face.

Another five minutes passed before the exit of the ride appeared. You were thankful for this and almost jumped out of the ride when the boat stopped. The concerning part was that it was now night in the carnival. Hopefully, those monsters that had been over by the circus tent, when you had been here a year ago, wouldn't prowl this area. Then again something worse could take their place. Once the brothers got off the boat, you three walked back down the path you took to get to the boat ride. So far you hadn't seen anything that would cause worry.

"Are we taking the Ferris wheel like last time?" you inquired quietly, as you steered clear of the balloons.

"Why do you wish to, my dear lady?"

"I know it will be quicker, but we'll have to deal with those monsters still, right?"

"Yes, we'll have to run like last time, since allowing them to swarm isn't a pleasant experience," Heart responded, continuing to walk down the path.

"Let's just take the horses. They're nice company anyway."

"Are we not good company, Miss _____?"

"Hmm, that's debatable," you replied with a smirk on your face, but your grin faltered when you heard a familiar sound to your left side.

This didn't make any sense; you thought they only resided in the ride. Evidently, you were quite wrong on that point. Glancing to your left, you saw standing in one of the stalls one of the awful clowns. Its curled fingers rested on its pale cheeks while its painted red lips were in the shape of an o. It was most likely trying to mock you with its facial expressions, but in all honesty they were just plain disturbing.

It moved its hands down from its face and went to take a step forward, however Diamond quickly unsheathed the saber from his side and ran at it. In the next moment, he had decapitated the creature. Sadly, this wasn't the only one in the area. Multiple others were appearing here and there. Taking out your own daggers, you prepared yourself for the fight. Cackling resonated all around you, as Heart unsheathed his sword as well.

Diamond took down another that had just made an appearance before exclaiming, "I suggest we run and take them out as we go."

Having no reason to argue, Heart and you ran after him. As the three of you went along the pavement, you took down one after another. Thankfully, they weren't too much trouble, but like the creatures around the circus tent if they swarmed there would be trouble. Already four times, their sharp curled fingers almost slashed your skin. Technically, you weren't really running, but one could almost call it dancing. Spins were a constant routine, as you dodged their sharp fingers. You swirled around one's approaching hand only to dodge another, as you slashed at the nearing clowns.

Such a process continued until the three of you finally saw the gate in the distance. There were few clowns by the gate. Glancing over your shoulder, you noticed just how many there actually were. Even in the ride, you didn't know there was such a quantity of them. Knowing this just propelled you to run faster towards the gate. On your way there, you took down another. Diamond was already at the gate and had the key in hand.

Quickly, he unlocked the wrought iron gate and held it open for Heart and you. After he stepped out of the carnival, he closed the gate and the lock reattached itself to the gate. One of the clowns ran at the gate and started to shake it, but gave up after it realized that it was pointless.

Sighing in relief, you rested the palms of your hands on your knees, catching your breath. Heart soon whistled, calling the horses over to the three of you. Not too long after, the sound of hooves hitting the grassy earth hit your ears. Not only were you glad to see the horses coming, but also you were happy to be rid of the carnival.