Ancestor

Her amber eyes stayed fixed on the brothers, which caused them to rest their hands over their weapons. Moreover, your hands grasped the tops of your daggers tightly. Steadily, a smile began to grace her lips, as her right hand pushed some loose strands of hair behind her right ear.

"Tell me; are you two the sons of the Queen of Hearts, Yussia?"

The moment the question left her lips, something clicked in the back of your mind. This woman just referenced their mother as the current queen. It would make sense if she was stuck up here the entire time, but did that mean while in Jisef one didn't age? That would have to be the case; otherwise this woman would be long dead. Still, how did she know their mother? Could she be perhaps a friend of the late Queen of Hearts or was she something more?

"What does it matter to you?" Heart asked in a defiant voice, as he glared at the woman.

"Yes, we don't take kindly to someone who insults our little queen," Diamond added, his eyes narrowing slightly.

"Hmm, I could care less,now, answer my question. It is imperative that I know."

Before the brothers could answer, you stepped forward and answered, "They are, but Yussia is no longer the Queen of Hearts. She died over three hundred years ago. Now, who are you?"

Glancing over to the brothers once more before turning her gaze back on you, she replied, "I am the grandmother of these two. It is painful to hear that my daughter died, though. I was expecting her to live for a long time, but I can't control everything. Regardless, I am one of the former Queen of Hearts, Oriana. I left the surface of the world to come here after finding the amulet, which the first Queen of Diamonds left for other aces to find. Granted, the amulet would only intrigue those who were both aces and queens/kings. Now, why don't my two grandsons come up here?"

Both brothers froze to their spots. It was understandable, though, since this was the first of their relatives that they had ever met. They didn't know what to do with themselves. Their grip on their weapons lessened, but remained. The twins glanced over at you to see what you wanted to do. How could you deny them a visit with one of their relatives? At the same time, however, you didn't want them going near her. There was still something off about the woman, and you wanted some questions answered first before any of you made a move towards her.

"Will you two mind if I ask you to not take a step closer?" you inquired, slightly worried that they would hate you for what you were asking them.

"My dear lady, if that is what you wish, we shall oblige your request. We can see and talk to her from here. Regardless of whether she claims to be my grandmother or not, I still don't possess an overwhelming desire to run up and hug her."

"We stand by your request, Miss _____. Even if she is a relative of ours, she could still be a threat to the three of us."

A spark of amusement dashed across the woman's amber eyes before her gaze hardened on you. "Well, what did you wish to know, ace?" she questioned, her voice having an element of disgust in it.

"First off, how did you know that I was the ace among the three of us, or rather how can you tell that we're not all aces?"

"Simple, from my seat up here, I could see the portal open, and you three exit. The portal was in the hue of purple, which is the same color as the faint glow coming off your daggers. I can see this glow because I am a fellow ace. Others can only see the glow when it's stronger or in the form of your queen's weapon. I must say that it is a disappointment to see that neither of my grandsons are aces. Then again, Yussia wasn't one either, so the chances were low. Now, what's your next question?"

"Well, you just raised another. Are you saying that if an ace has a child, it's not guaranteed that the child will be an ace?"

"Correct, it's a fifty-fifty probability. This probability decreases with each generation, though, if no aces are born. Thus, Yussia had a twenty-five percent chance of having an ace. As for my grandsons, they will have a twelfth and a half percent chance of producing an ace if they wish to have children. Like other aces, you will have a fifty percent chance. Granted, since it seems my grandsons are infatuated with you and you with them, the chances of having an ace will increase if you have a child with either of them."

Despite the fact that your cheeks lit up slightly at such a thought, you kept yourself composed in front of the woman. "Next, where is Jisef precisely located and why does it contain information on the past kings, queens, etc.?"

"I'm glad you asked. Jisef is a structure orbiting the world known as Province. Granted, this name has been lost to those who live on the world now. Now, the reason for the writing on the walls is because this place is essentially the main library for the world. The one, who sits on this throne, guards this information. That is why the first Queen of Diamonds created that test. She wanted to know that person sitting here was worthy of such a task."

It was slightly shocking to learn the name of the world, since no one on the surface seemed to know its name. You had always just referred to it as the brothers' world. In fact it seemed odd to have a name, since things changed frequently there. Still, there was something else bothering you. "Well, how did this structure come to be, then?"

"Province wasn't the home world of our ancestors. If you look out the windows behind me, you will see other planets. The farthest one was the original residing place of our ancestors. They had to leave due to the lack of resources, since there was only a small portion of the planet, which was habitable. Thus, they had the technology to build this grand structure, which is where they wrote all of their history. Using this grand ship, they easily located Province and put the ship into orbit around it.

"At the time, there were kings, queens, etc. like there are today. There was one figure, which was different, though. Among all of them was a single ruler. This individual had to be an ace-queen/king; however, the moment they took the throne, they renounced their queen/king title. Moreover, since aces can't just be named, but have to be born, they would keep that title. They would sit in this chair and govern the body of the lesser cards, making sure they stayed in check. Likewise, the lesser cards would insure that their ruler remained fair and just. If foul play occurred, the ruler would be removed from power. That's why my daughter took over my role as Queen of Hearts, when I sat upon this chair."

"Wait, how could the ruler manage them once they inhabited the world below? You stated that it was their duty to watch over these records here, so how could they watch over the other cards that would presumably live on Province?"

"Easy, the ruler would have their most trusted individuals stay with them up here. One of these was always an ace, while the others could be outside the cards if the ruler so desired. Granted, they weren't usually needed, since the specific suit of cards would protect the according ace, as was their duty. Plus, there were the card numbers, with the proper suit, protecting the ruler.

"Thus, the ruler's trusted ace would transport between Jisef and Province with some of the number cards. This force would make sure that the other cards were kept in place. As I'm sure you know, though, the number cards along with the jokers and jacks were wiped out. So, I have no numbers to protect me. Besides, the monitoring system between the ruler and other cards is no longer necessary. Still, the reason for this system's loss was because of an incident that occurred during first Queen of Diamond's time. Granted, she technically wasn't the first one, but she was if one only looks back to Province's history.

"This incident involved the other cards becoming tired of the old system. Thus, they agreed upon themselves to tempt the number cards, of the ruler's trusted ace, to go against the ruler. When this ace, the first Queen of Diamonds, returned to the ruler, she wasn't aware of her numbers' plan. They attacked the moment they came back, since the numbers managed to sneak in several of the kings and queens. This was possible due to the numbers telling the queens and kings the portal's location.

"With war breaking out, the ruler instructed the Queen of Diamonds to return to Province and leave Jisef. Furthermore, they stated that she would become the next ruler, and that she would return to this place only once she deemed it safe. Following the ruler's orders, she left. She only came back, once she confirmed that the other aces had transported all the other cards back to Province. During this confirmation process, she made the amulet and the test to go along with it."

"You're still hiding something from me. The Queen of Diamonds, were she loyal to the ruler, would have sacrificed herself for their safety. Moreover, if the ruler's trusted ace couldn't convince the other cards of the ruler's commands, the ruler themselves would have to come to Province. Likewise, what stopped the other aces from coming back to Jisef? What aren't you telling me, Oriana?" you asked, as your mind took in all of this information.

"I suppose there are some minor details I forgot to mention," she responded with a sly smile on her lips.