Fruits and Honey

Alarm bells were currently ringing in your head, screaming at you to remain quiet. That was the one question you were hoping to avoid. Now that it was voiced, you couldn't do anything about it. You just felt like you were thrown onto a stage with a bright spotlight on you, yet you didn't know any of the lines; you felt completely exposed, and it was awful. Words tried to leave your mouth, but no sound left. Rather, you were just moving your lips in an awkward manner.

Twiddling your thumbs, you saw Victoria coming back with your order, and you mentally jumped for joy. She set down your food, and you thanked her. After giving you a quick nod, she left to fulfill some other orders. Swiftly formulating an idea, you grabbed the fork, which Victoria brought as well, and began eating your food. As for Diamond, he tapped his right fingers against the wooden surface of the table, clearly becoming impatient with your delay.

Taking a large bite of your eggs, you stuffed them in your mouth and answered, "Welp ya seoo, w cool-aided onwo t floow, aw sow awkaw thee hapewed. In t ewd I kicwed hem baw."

Swallowing your food, you took another bite and just pretended like you spoke perfectly clear. Seeing Diamond's countenance, you could tell that he wasn't amused. In fact the frown on his face was slightly worrying. Technically, you had told him the truth; it just sounded weird due to the eggs. As you finished your next bite of food, you went to put some more food in your mouth to avoid conversation, but Diamond quickly grabbed your right wrist.

"Miss _____, the understandable version would be preferred."

Wrenching your wrist away from him, you glanced down and mumbled a few curses before replying, "Why is it so important to you?"

"Well, for starters, Miss _____, your face has changed to a bright shade of red. Moreover, you know as well as I do that my brother rarely ever smiles like that. Now, will you tell me, or do I need to assume that something of a certain matter occurred between you two last night?"

"What! No, that didn't happen at all!" you shouted a little too loud, as more heat rose to your cheeks while a few customers glanced your way.

Saying a quick apology for the noise, you moved your eggs back and forth on your plate. Diamond, now with both of his hands crossed over his chest, which was covered by a loose fitting red peasant shirt, sighed lightly and turned to look out the nearby window. Quietly taking another bite of your eggs, you noticed that his hair was still out of its ponytail. It hung loosely down to his shoulders and almost made the two gold hoops in his ears unnoticeable.

"Look, it wasn't like that," you mumbled before finishing off your eggs.

"Then explain to me what happened, so I don't make such a presumption."

"It's just I don't really understand what I did myself. My emotions are currently being thrown around in a tornado, and I don't know what to do about it."

"You're dodging the question, Miss _____."

Moving onto the fruit, you grumbled a few select words at the male before stabbing a piece of cantaloupe in the bowl before you. Placing the piece of fruit in your mouth, you tried to think of a way to word your answer differently, but nothing came to mind. There was just the blunt truth, and you couldn't do anything about it. There was the option of lying, but Diamond knew his brother too well. Honestly, the two of them had been around each other for over three hundred years. Thus, Diamond would find it out from his brother if you refused to tell him. Frankly, if Heart told him, it would only make things worse.

"Fine," you stated, stabbing another piece of cantaloupe, "your brother and I ended up falling onto the floor due to him stealing my daggers. I went to get them back, but I failed miserably. Regardless, I ended up pissed off at your brother after I had a brief conversation with him. When I tried to go back to bed, he stopped me, and another conversation ensued. In the end, he kissed me, and I kissed back."

Placing the piece of fruit into your mouth, you tried to hide the blush forming on your cheeks from the memory while wondering how Diamond would act. You slowly ate the rest of your food, waiting for him to say something. He never did; he just left his chair and walked over to the bar. From where you were sitting, you could see him paying Nicholas. Figuring that he was somewhat angered, you just focused your attention back on your food and finished it.

When you looked back up, you saw Heart entering the main room from the stairs, with their pack on, and heading towards his red-headed twin, who had completed paying. Like his brother, he wore a loose peasant shirt, though in a blue hue. Both had black pants on as well as their flip- flops from yesterday. Moreover, Heart had a silver hoop in his left ear. They were both now on their way towards you. Heart wore his characteristic smirk while Diamond's expression remained unreadable.

"Well, my dear lady, are you ready to head out into the markets?"

"Uhh, yes," you responded, keeping your gaze on your feet.

Taking note of your current behavior, Heart pushed a few of his bangs aside and sighed before asking his brother, "So where are the fruit and honey stands in the market, Diamond?"

"From what I was told last night, all of the produce is located on the northern side of the city while the honey is on the east end."

"Great, I suggest we get moving, then," Heart exclaimed, ruffling your hair a bit, before heading for the door.

Sending a glare his way, you proceeded to roll your eyes and stand up. Before you could follow after the blue-headed male, Diamond came up to you and rested his right hand on your right shoulder. Casting a suspicious glance his way, you noticed him lowering his lips to your right ear.

"Don't worry, Miss _____, I'll make you kiss me back tenfold," he whispered with scheming smile plastered on his face.

Giving you no time to reply, he removed his hand from your shoulder and walked towards his brother. Caught off guard by that comment of his, you did your best to rub the color from your cheeks, but you knew that would have little to no effect. Thus, you sent a glare in the male's direction before walking between the brothers and out the door. You didn't care if they were behind you or not. Currently, you just wanted to forget your annoying emotions for awhile and find the fruit stands.

Sadly, it wasn't as easy as you hoped it would be. The streets were packed with people, and at times you had to shove your way through. Sellers were advertising their goods, yelling out over the crowds and trying to draw in potential buyers to their stands. Those who were shopping stopped here and there, occasionally blocking the flow of movement. It was utter insanity. Even if the book mentioned the packed streets, you didn't think it would be this bad.

Somehow in the end, you managed to reach the fruit stands. This area had just as much people and just as much noise. Getting annoyed by the business of this place, you stood on your tippy-toes, trying to look at the various fruits. Your attempt brought no success. Instead, you found yourself almost being pushed onto the cobblestone paths half the time. Moreover, you noticed that since everyone was busy buying and selling items that none of them cast strange looks at you. At least there was one benefit to all of this.

Feeling a hand on each of your shoulders, you saw Heart on your left and Diamond on your right. Linking arms with you, they moved forward and pushed through the crowds. It was quite effective, and allowed you to pay attention to the various types of fruits being sold. You listened for anything that might mention one of the words in the next song lyric. So far, nothing of interest met your ears.

After searching for over two hours, you were exhausted and slightly hungry. Thus, you sat with the brothers at one of the tables positioned in produce section of the market. Currently, your chin was resting in the palm of your left hand while you were biting into a spear of mango. Your eyes scanned over the market, wondering if you missed any stands, but you didn't. Absolutely, none of them produced any results. It was completely frustrating.

"Miss ____, if you keep frowning like that you'll scare away half the market."

"Then why haven't either of you left?" you countered, not in the mood for either of their personalities.

"We're part of the half that isn't affected by it," Diamond replied back, popping a cucumber cube into his mouth.

"Whatever, I just want to find a clue soon. I mean I would be happy if someone just mentioned the word "mermaid" or "wave"."

"Well, we still have the honey left to check, my dear lady. We'll find a clue and be on our way, though; I have no problem with staying another night here," Heart mentioned, tossing a blueberry into his mouth.

"You're an unbelievable a**hole," you muttered, glancing back at the bustling market.