Finish

You didn't know when the three of you had stopped falling, but for a moment in time, you thought you had passed on, since everything seemed to just stop. When you realized that you could still hear the brothers' heartbeats, relief washed over you, as you slowly opened your eyes. Upon doing so, you were greeted by crimson colored fabric. Noticing the color, you knew you were currently lying on top of Diamond. This realization caused your cheeks to turn the color of his shirt, but when you tried to push yourself off of him, you found that you were unable.

No doubt, this was because Heart was on top of you. Honestly, this situation was incredibly awkward, and you wanted out of it. It had been nice while you were falling, but that pleasantness was wearing thin. Thus, you pressed your hands against Diamond's shoulders while pushing Heart off with your shoulders. You could hear him roll off of you, which permitted you to get off the red-haired male.

Frankly, though, you were wondering why they hadn't put up much resistance. When you recovered yourself to your feet, you found out that they were just starting to open their eyes. Grateful for their delay, you scanned over your surroundings and nearly jumped in fright upon seeing another figure in the room. Only the lower half of their face was visible while the rest was cast in shadows due to their hood, which was attached to a long flowing black cloak. You froze, when they turned their head towards you. On instinct you went to reach for your daggers, but found that your queen's weapon was on the other side of the room.

Glancing over at the brothers, you saw that they had managed to get on their feet. They now had their sabers unsheathed and had transported themselves to stand in front of you. The cloaked figure kept their gaze on the three of you before stepping aside. By doing so, you noticed a doorway beginning to open in the wall, as the stones moved aside. There was no way you were going to waltz into what lay beyond without knowing who this figure was. Seeming to have the same idea, the brothers beat you to the questioning.

"Who are you?" they asked in unison in threatening tones.

Folding their hands together in front of them, the figure replied, "The guardian to the information on Jisef. You have successfully made it through one of the paths in Kinete, so your prize lies beyond. That is why you're here, is it not?"

"How do we know you're speaking the truth? There could be a trap behind that doorway. Your true intent could be to harm our dear lady, and I won't allow such a thing," Heart voiced, the growing blood lust evident in his voice.

"You will just have to trust me. I only have words to offer you as proof that I am speaking the truth."

"Then try to convince us before we have the need to eradicate you," Diamond answered, blocking the figure, who you now knew was male due to their baritone voice, from your view.

"I understand. I am the guardian to the first Queen of Diamonds and to one of the first aces. She placed me here to allow passage to those, who solved her puzzle and reached the end of the depths of Kinete. Like on your world, there is no aging on this world. Thus, I stand guard here, waiting for the next ace to arrive. In this case, though, it would seem that there are those who aren't aces. Regardless, is that proof enough or do I need to go over the pieces of the puzzle that my queen left behind?"

"Like we would believe that, how could you survive down here with no food or water?" Heart questioned, his grip on the handle of his weapon intensifying.

"I have the same capabilities that your brother and you have. Granted, I can't transport myself to places, but I can summon simple items like to food and water to my hands. There is another door in this area that opens to where I stay. To prove this, I will summon an orange to my hands."

In the next moment, an orange did indeed appear in his hands before it disappeared again. "Now, I have a feeling that you wish to ask me about the first Queen of Diamonds, but I cannot answer anything regarding her. She instructed me not to give out such information. You will, however, find such knowledge in Jisef. Any questions you have concerning her will be answered there."

"Why would she leave you here if you were her guardian?" you asked, stepping out from behind the brothers.

"I was the only one among her servants, who possessed the summoning ability at the time. Besides, she didn't have to force me to stay here. When she called upon me to take up this task, I agreed with no regrets."

"Why would she need a guardian here, though? Surely, one can open the door without your help. You just pressed in one of the stones, correct?" you questioned further, taking a few more steps forward, which caused the brothers to keep a careful eye on you in case the man tried anything. "You're another test aren't you?"

"And what test would I be?" the man inquired, hiding both of his hands in the sleeves of his cloak.

"Based on what you have told us so far, it would appear that the first Queen of Diamonds was testing an ace's worthiness. If she placed one of her trusted guardians here, she would be placing another test before the ace. She wouldn't have sent you here if all you had to do was press in a stone. Maybe I'm wrong, but something about that seems odd."

A small smile painted itself across his lips before he took his hands out from his sleeves and unveiled a simple silver dagger in each of his hands. Upon seeing the blades, the brothers went on the offensive and jumped in front of you. Instantly, you reached out your hands and pulled back on the brothers' clothing. This sent them to stand next you rather than in front of you.

"I'm not fighting you. The song mentioned monsters and enemies. You are neither. I don't believe that the first Queen of Diamonds would make her guardian an enemy of future aces. Besides, my weapon is currently out of my reach. If I were to grab it, you would be able to attack me easily with one of your daggers. Granted, one of my companions could wipe you out, but if they weren't here, I would be most likely killed. Thus, if you wished to harm or kill me, you would've made an attempt already. Those daggers are for more than fighting."

"I shouldn't have expected anything less from an ace. Yes, these daggers' main purpose is not for fighting. They are meant to judge one's will. I can do more than just summon items to my hands. I was gifted with magic that permits me to imbue my weapons with a burning light. If you can withstand the light, the room beyond will be made safe for you to enter. This is due to the fact that the light can sense any doubt within a person's mind. If there is a thread of doubt in your mind about going to Jisef, you will not be suitable for traveling there."

"What would've happened had we just entered the room?"

"You would've been sent to the beginning of Kinete and would have to find another way to reach here. Now, will you undergo this final test? Your companions will have to take it as well."

Peering over at each brother, you saw them sigh before sheathing their weapons. They each gave you a nod to proceed with this test. With their confirmation, you stepped forward and told the man to start the exam. Thus, he lifted up both daggers and laid them flat against each of your arms. A burning pain shot up through your body and traveled to your mind. It remained there, and it felt as though your head was going to explode. Shutting your eyes tightly, you clenched your fists and bit your bottom lip. Your legs wanted to collapse under you, but you held your ground and refused to give up. You had no doubt in your mind about getting to Jisef; you had worked too hard to get to this point.

The pain continued for awhile longer before you felt it vanishing. Opening your eyes, you found that the man had withdrawn the daggers and was moving towards the brothers. Seeing that he made no comment, you assumed that you had passed. Now, you just hoped that the brothers would be able to get past the intense agony of those blades. Personally, though, you didn't think they would fail. They had withstood the pain of being combined into one body before being ripped apart again. After a few minutes, the man withdrew the weapons from them, and they had passed.

"You all may enter. I wish you luck, when you reach Jisef," the man stated before opening a doorway in the nearby wall and going through it. The entrance, to presumably his room, closed after he entered.

With him gone, the three of you stepped into the room he left open after you retrieved your queen's weapon. After all of you were in, the doorway closed, as the stones went back into their proper places. Inside the space, there was a stone podium with a single book on top of it, which was positioned in the center of the room. Off to the left, a wooden door was left open, revealing a small room for travelers, who wished to rest before continuing onto the final location. It had another wooden door in it, which probably led to a bathroom. Besides the other door, there was a wooden nightstand with a simple brass lamp. Next to the nightstand was a wooden full-sized bed with dark grey sheets and pillows on top. In truth, a nice rest before continuing on did sound like a good idea.