Chapter 41

The high pitched tone of a phone ringing woke me up. Light was streaming from outside through the windows, hurting my eyes. My back hurt from the way I was hunched over on the floor. My head almost touching my knees. But my right hand was laying on the mattress. Memories of last night hit me like a train and I dreaded to be awake. Marcel was gone and I guessed he was downstairs since there was a lot of noise coming from downstairs. I slowly stood up and stretched myself out. I didn't even need to look at my hair to know that it was horrendous. Thank god I keep a hair tie on my wrist. My phone was sitting on the nightstand. 100% charged. Marcel must've plugged it in for me. Someone answered the phone and starting talking in it. So loud I could hear them upstairs laughing and teasing the other caller about how they can't figure out how to post pictures on Facebook.

I unplugged my phone and checked all the messages I got. My mum was asking where I was and Jen was demanding answers from me. I also got one from an unknown number:

- I'm really really sorry.

I didn't know exactly who it was from, but I had a few guesses. I imagined that it was Louis or Liam or Zayn or Keegan. But I really didn't care about that right now. An argument was going on in my head on whether I should go downstairs or stay up here. I wasn't sure if his parents knew about me being here. And I didn't want to anger them if I wasn't supposed to be here. I sat on the bed and toyed with my phone, flipping it between my hands. The pictures of a younger Marcel and his family grabbed my attention. There was one of him at his birthday party. A round cake that was shaped like Elmo's head was before Marcel, his small smile lighting up the room. Another one caught my eye. It was Marcel and Louis. Marcel was laying in the grass while Louis kicked the ball into the goal. Even then he was good at football. It only took a short time for me to get bored with the pictures and decide that I should go downstairs. I couldn't stay up in his room forever.

I walked at a slow, steady pace down the stairs. I just prayed that my breath wouldn't knock anyone out. Or that I smelled at least a little decent. It was only Anne in the kitchen, talking on the phone.

"I honestly didn't believe that she would. She was always a little wimpy." Anne and the other caller started laughing. When she turned her body, her smile softened when she saw me. I returned the gesture.

"Listen Jo, I'll have to call you back later. Okay?" A pause. "Thank you I will. Bye."

I smiled again to hide my awkward place in this situation.

"How are you? Did you sleep well?" Her hair was put back into place as her gentle hand smoothed down her black, sleek hair. She was quick with her movements. Looking sly and sneaky even though she was open with her actions.

"Yeah."

She laughed to herself, " I saw you hunched over up there. You sure you didn't hurt your neck?"

I automatically reached my hand to my neck. "Nah, I think I'm good."

Eyes darting around the kitchen, she looked for something, which I assumed was her coffee mug. When her eyes spotted it she grabbed the steaming cup. I had nothing to do but play with fingers and clean the dirt out from under my nails.

"So, uh, where's Marcel?"

She finished gulping down her coffee before she replied, "Robin took him to the hospital. Gemma went too. Um, he was just having trouble breathing last night. He came to my room, but passed out before we could help him."

"Is he okay?" I felt my own urgency in my voice, so there was no doubt that she could hear it too.

"I think so." She gulped another of her black drink that I despised. I sat down and she offered me breakfast, which I happily accepted. In more detail, she told me about what exactly happened with Marcel last night. He was coughing in his sleep trying to catch his breath. He got out of bed to tell his mum that something was very wrong. The only words he got to say were, "No breath," before his face turned cherry red and he blacked out. I consistently apologized for sleeping on her son's floor last night. Of course it was fine with her, but I was not fine with it.

"I'm sorry. I should take this." My phone was ringing on the table, vibrating violently.

"Go ahead." She excused herself and went up the stairs.

"Hi mum."

Shouts. I was greeted with angry shouts. My mother was furious that I stayed out last night and never returned home. I waited for her to calm down before I said anything, I didn't want to provoke her anymore.

"I'm sorry. I was just tired and the house was further away than I thought. I know you don't like me driving late at night. So, I just stayed at Jen's house." After a lot of convincing she gave in to my lame excuse.

"But one thing Addy. You have rehearsal in an hour."

"What? But I just got called for the part, are they starting rehearsals already?"

"Yes," she sing songed, " just go straight to the theatre. Now." She hung up on me. My only choice was to wear the clothes that I had on now. I went to the washroom and raided the drawers for toothpaste, deodorant, perfume, a brush, anything to help me look a little better. Squeezing toothpaste on my finger, I ran a brush through my hair with my left hand. I was trying so hard, but I still felt like a hot mess. Oh screw it.

"Is everything okay?" Anne was back in the kitchen, rinsing out her coffee mug.

"Kinda. I just forgot I had rehearsal today and I have to go."

"Oh, what show?" I know that she was just curious but I felt stalled with her questions. My only resolution was to speak quickly.

"Once, the musical. I'm the lead, but I really have to go. ThankyouforeverythingAndpleaseletmeknowhowMarcelis." I literally ran out the door to my car. I had no idea when rehearsal started but from the tone of my mum's voice. Soon. Too soon.

I was sure I would get pulled over for driving so fast. In reality I wasn't going too fast, but it was the fastest I think I've ever driven. It was a Sunday morning, so there wasn't much traffic. Arriving to the theatre and seeing the parking lot full of cars, my assumption was that I was late. I ran into the theatre lobby and saw a bunch of teenagers just standing around.

"I'm not late am I?" I asked the closest person to me. A tall boy. He was attractive, a lot attractive actually. And very arousing. I'm sure girls would fawn over his very, very, very distinct jawline.

"No. You've got like five minutes until rehearsal starts."

"Oh thank god," I breathed. Being late to the first rehearsal was not a very good start.

He laughed at me, "I'm Garret by the way." He stuck his hand out.

"Addy." I shook his super soft hand. Like incredibly soft.

"Oh. You're the lead girl right?"

I nodded.

"I'm the male lead. Or guy I guess. If you want to get technical."

I laughed, "There's nothing technical about the character. But I do think Girl is a very practical character."

He laughed at the comment. We both knew that the play-writes were probably too lazy to actually give the characters names. I don't blame 'em. We stood next to each other in silence. We didn't have anything else to say.

"I guess it's time to go."

I followed his eye to the other people filing into the theatre. We both walked towards the doors. I had to turn my phone off. The only thing that worried me about this was missing a call or text from someone about Marcel. I just wanted to know if he was okay.

((A/N::: I'm all better guys so that means more updates. YAY! Thank you all for the hopeful thinking and prayers. It really did help. I LOVE YOU ALL))