Chapter 9

Jennifer parked down the street from the first house that we were going to paper. "Be as quiet as you can," Louis told us as we for out of the car, clearly he had done this before. We closed our doors trying to make as little noise as possible. It was only around ten at night, so surely someone would be awake. But since this house had no lights on inside, we gave it a shot.

As we started towards the house I gripped Marcel's hand to lead me. The dim lighting didn't provide enough for us to see a clear pathway. Marcel stepped in a pile if leaves creating aver loud crunching noise. "Ssshhhhhh!" Jennifer and Louis hissed at the same time.

"They're really serious about this." I commented to Marcel. "Ssshhhh!" Jennifer and Louis hissed again. As we got to the right side of the house, Marcel and I waited for Louis' signal. "Well, this is going well." Marcel said. "Coo! Coo!" I looked at Marcel asking silently if that was the sign with a look of my face. He nodded his head.

We both grabbed our first roll of toilet paper and threw over to the left side of the house. Shortly after two rolls came flying towards us. Bouncing off the roof and landing in the grass. I picked up a roll and ripped off the long strip of paper so I could throw it again. Marcel and I both threw the rolls over to the other side. After repeating this multiple times until we ran out of one roll, we moved on to the trees. The yard had a tall oak tree in the front, perfect for papering. We walked over to the tree and repeated the same process we did with the house. Throw. Catch. Rip. Repeat. After we were out of toilet paper we stepped back to take a look at our masterpiece.

"Oh." Jennifer said.

"My," Marcel said and I finished with,"God."

There was toilet paper everywhere! Draped over the house and falling off the sides. The ends gently blowing in the breeze. The trees were entirely covered with toilet paper, not being able to see one branch or leaf. There were strips strewn across the lawn creating a snow like effect

. "Nice work lads," Louis whispered. Even though there were two girls here, but I ignored his comment. At least he considered me a 'lad' now.

"Now let's leave before someone sees us," I said we all walked down the street in silence, not risking the chance of getting caught. Once we got in the car we started talking again.

"That was so much fun!" I cheered.

"I know! Come on! Lets get another one!" Marcel said.

"Okay.. How about this house?" Louis asked. It was a single house with no lights on, but it had a large lawn in front so I'm guessing it was large in the back as well. "Sure,"I said, grabbing three rolls of paper like last time. "I'm so ready for this!" Jennifer said. Once the car was parked we got out and followed our plan as before. Marcel and I creeped our way to the side as Jennifer and Louis went to theirs. "Coo! Coo!"

We heard the familiar sound of Louis' signal and grabbed out first roll. "Ready?" Marcel whispered to me. "Very." We received Jennifer's and Louis' rolls first before we could throw ours. We throw our roll over first then ripped the rolls we got.

"Wait." Marcel held his hand up, stopping me before I threw the roll over. "Did you hear something?" I looked around trying to see something that I might've missed. Then I saw it. A light turned on in the front of the house and I heard the door open.

"Oh no," I said. "Who's out there?" The person called. The took a few steps farther out, trying to find the person causing all the noise. Then they turned around.

"Holy Shit! What did you do? I'll call the police on you if you don't come out now!" I looked to Marcel who was as Shocked as I was.

"What do we do Marcel?" He shook his head.

"Tell him it was us."

"Are you out of your mind?!" I whispered violently to him. "He'll call the police. We need to leave."

He nodded his head and was staring at the ground thinking. "We need to run." I nodded my head and looked around for somewhere to go. "There you are!"

The man was pointing at us and now charging to where we were standing. I was now frantically searching for somewhere to run to, or something to at least hide us. "There!" marcel said pointing the gate in the fence near the back of the house. "Go!" I shouted urging him to run to it. He sprinted quickly while holding my hand.

"Get back! Come back!" The man yelled at us. I could hear his footsteps behind, chasing us as we tried to escape.

Marcel pushed the gate and shook it. "It's locked. We'll have to climb."

"Then come on!" I ran to the other side of the yard trying to get more time.

Marcel put his hands together, forming a bowl so He could lift me over the fence. I gave him a worried look, not sure if this plan would work. "Marcel."

"Just go," he urged.

I put my foot in his hands and jumped, pulling my self to the other side of the fence. "Come on Marcel!" I saw his hands reach the top of the fence. "Help me." I reached my hand up to grab his. I pulled as hard as I could, finally pulling Marcel over the fence. He landed on his feet, but lost his balance a bit.

We both put our hands on our knees trying to catch our breath. "Thanks," he breathes out. "Same," I said to him. That's when the gate busted open and the man was standing where it opened. "Crap," I hissed.

"Think you can get away that easy?" He shouted. "The police are on their way." I moaned, this night will end up with us getting arrested I guess."Run," Marcel said.

We were in some sort of ally so we could only run in one direction. I quickly pulled off my shoes and held them in my hand as we ran down the ally. "Marcel," I shouted, trying to warn him of the huge water puddle that he was about to run into. But it was too late he slipped and fell. I ran towards him to help him up, but didn't realize how big the puddle actually was and slipped and fell to. I landed on top of Marcel, both of us wet from the leftover rainwater. We were both breathing heavily from our impromptu workout.

"Sorry," I breathed out, still trying to catch my breath. "Erm...it's fine really. I just.... I guess I- well clearly the puddle," he stuttered causing me to laugh. "You don't need to say anymore. I understand." We just sat there in the same position staring at each other. "Some crazy night, huh?" He said quietly, a small smile playing at his lips.

"Yeah," I said slowly and quietly. "We should probably-Erm...get going." I nodded my head and tried to get up, but only ended up slipping again and landing on my bum. Marcel managed to stand up between laughs. "Smooth," he chuckled. "Hey," I warned. He reached his hand out to me while still laughing. I gratefully grabbed it as he helped me up." "thanks." He pulled me in close to his side, so that my chin was against his right shoulder.

"You are so welcome." He whispered in my ear causing goosebumps to show on my arms. I pulled away slowly and examined his face. He had a quizzical half smile that didn't reveal a dimple, but showed that he had something up his sleeve. He pulled me in close again, this time straight towards him. I knew what he was doing, but I wasn't going to stop him. "There you are!" Jennifer shouted, causing me to jump. Marcel sighed and backed away from me, since Jennifer ruined the moment. "What happened to you guys back there?"