Chapter 23

The rest of the day was like I was a child, wandering in a daydream. Everything seemed hazed. Throughout class Marcel would glance at me every so often. He distanced himself from me as I did the same. I ignored Lilly and Georgia's antagonizing questions. I couldn't control what was happening to me. I've never felt like this before. I've had the rest of the day to myself to dissect Marcel's words. He told me Louis wouldn't stoop that low. So that means either Louis is lying or Liam is. I wouldn't let myself blame Liam, Louis deserved all the blame. Especially after comparing me to Zayn, I'm nothing like him! I just hope that Marcel doesn't think so. I can't stop thinking about Marcel. And Louis. And Liam and Zayn and everything, but mostly Marcel. It hurt even when he told me not to see him perform. I could see how happy he was and that he didn't mean the words. If he liked it or not, I was going to the party to watch him. The only problem was that I didn't know anything about the party, so I just went home to give myself time to think it over.

~~~

"ADDY!" My brother was shouting from the kitchen while I was in my bedroom.

"What!" I shouted back.

"Mum went with dad to dinner."

"So?"

"I need to eat!" I pushed my books off my lap as I went downstairs. I would rather finish my homework on Friday so I have the weekend to do whatever I wanted. "Where did they go?"

He shrugged his shoulders focusing on his coloring. "Text her."

"No, that's stupid."

"Are you calling me stupid. I'm telling mom!" I rolled my eyes at the immature child that I had to deal with for the rest of the night.

"I wasn't calling you stupid. I was just." He raised his eyebrows at me. "What do you want to eat." I know that no matter how hard I tried to bargain, he would still feel insulted.

"I was thinking Mexican." I opened the fridge and searched the shelves quickly. My eyes skimmed over the half empty bottles of juice, some fruit and vegetables tucked away in bags, and other snacks that wouldn't provide for a meal.

"We don't have any Mexican food."

"That's we go get some."

I shut the doors. "I don't have enough money for both of us."

He shook his head in a disapproving way and jumped off the raised chair. He went upstairs quickly and came back down with $55.14 exactly.

"Where did you get that?"

"Doesn't matter. Come on, I'm starving." If he had money for food, I wasn't going to disagree. I followed him to my car as we discussed what restaurant to go to. We pulled into the Mexixan Cantina where we were greeted by a cheerful redhead in her uniform. "We should invite Marcel!" He told me as we were escorted to our table with two seats. "No, I'm sure he's busy." I knew that my brother took a liking to Marcel and I felt bad after I saw the small frown appear on his jaw.

We sat down told the waitress our drink orders. She had a short, dirty blonde bob that cupped her cheeks. Her bright led lipstick and visible blush made her look very mature, but her squeaky voice deleted all of the mature aura she gives off. Devon forgot about Marcel and started to chat with me about the kids in his class. Describing each one down to their height and favorite colors. He would've talked more if the waitress didn't come back to order our food. Devon ordered tacos as I chose a cheese quesadilla. He continued talking, but now about the football team that his school was starting. Which reminded me of Louis, he was most likely practicing some drills right now, knowing how much he cares about his football match tomorrow. I was distracted from Devon's conversation when I saw a dark haired girl waving at me. It took me a moment until I realized that it was Gemma and a boy. "Hello Addy!" She gave me a tight and brief hug before asking me who Devon was. I introduced him to her as she introduces me to Sam, her boyfriend. She asked her waitress to be sat next to us, and of course her request was granted. I talked to her a little as Devon and Sam sat there awkwardly. We ate our food next to each other catching up on all the days we missed.

"Marcel told me about your date." The thought. Of our date brought warmth to my cheeks. "It sounded fun." She giggled.

"It was one that I'll never forget." After Devon's plate was clean we decided to leave. I needed to get home to do some more work and I imagine that Sam wants to spend time with his girlfriend.

"Gemma, could you answer something for me?"

"I'll try," she joked.

"Marcel invited me to a party tomorrow. But I don't know where it is or what time to get there or anything. Do you know anything about it?"

"Well, I'll just text you the address but it starts at three. And it's for my cousin Matt. We'll all be there too! I know that my mum would love to see you again." I nodded my head and paid the waitress as I rose from my seat.

"Thank you so much. I'll see you tomorrow."

"It was nice meeting you, Sam said with a smile.

"You too." My brother and I exited the restaurant with full stomachs. "Thanks Addy."

"Sure thing."

"She seems nice," he finally spoke after a long silence in the car. "They are a lovely family." I smiled, knowing that I was being honest. They are a great family, and so supportive of Marcel through this mess that he has to call life. For a while I forgot that he had a disease, it slipped my mind. I also couldn't help but think about losing my grip on him. Having him slowly slip away from my life was an unbearable thought. Saying he changed my life is an understatement. He changed my world. And I will forever be grateful that the girls chose such a good victim to be my friend. Victim. It sounded weird to call him that, but I was the suspect in this situation. I was put into something that I can't undo. It does remind me of a trial, Louis being Marcel's attorney. Crossing every answer I give and eyeing me suspuciously, constantly. He knows a slight hint of the truth, but I won't let him believe it. The only ones who can stick up for me are Jennifer, who is as tough as an attorney. Unfortunately, we have witnesses. Soon enough Lilly and Georgia will be pressured into telling the truth. Zayn will come clean about everything, and so will Liam. It's a case that I can't even sustain, and I'm part of it. "Come on Addy! I need to get home." I came reluctantly from my private world of thoughts and into the horrible one of reality.

"Sorry," I mumbled. I was sat at a stop sign as the sun was no longer in sight. Thank God no one was waiting for me.

~~~

I finished my homework around eleven at night and ignored my parents remarks about leaving the house without telling them. I decided that now wasn't the time to ask them about the party tomorrow. So I waited until my dad was sitting in his chair, half asleep and half awake.

"Dad." I whispered. He grunted an animal-like noise in response as his eyelids covered his eyes. "Can I go to a party tomorrow?"

"Whose," he mumbled. "My friend's." that's all he needed to know. He moaned what sound like "mhm". I took it as a yes and would use it against my mother tomorrow when she objected against me leaving the house.

I flipped through my clothes in the wardrobe to plan what I was going to wear tomorrow. I wasn't sure if I should go casual or semi formal. Should I wear a dress or not? I laid out some options on the floor neatly. I kept looking after I had one dress and a black skirt on the floor. Maybe I should just wear some jeans. I pulled three different pairs if jeans and laid them next to the other clothes on the carpet. A long yawn escaped my mouth and my eyelids gained weight as they sat on my eyes. They slowly kept creeping down further and I decided to finish this in the morning. I put on furry pants and a t shirt before tucking myself into bed. Ill try to give myself enough time to look perfect for Marcel. I mean, to look perfect for the party.