Chapter 18

I quickly reached to grab one of the taffy looking candies. The one I grabbed was bright orange and I was praying that it had a fruity flavor. I popped in it my mouth and chewed it as fast as I could. It tasted almost as bad as the one before with and extremely sour taste. But after I swallowed it, I found out that it was actually lemon flavored, which was one of my favorites. All the other small candies were very sour at first, but then released a fruity flavor after being chewed. I watched as Marcel popped his last small candy in, cringing at the sour taste. I scanned my box on what to eat next. I grabbed a truffle that was a dark brown and had chocolate shavings on the top. I bit into it letting it ooze out a cherry flavor. But I thought it tasted like cough syrup. I could feel it slowly sliding down my throat, coating it in cherry. I picked up another and bit into it, coating my throat again with a cherry syrup. Marcel only had his cupcakes left where I had two more truffles and two more cupcakes. I was afraid of eating the cupcakes because of my last experience. I put another truffle in my mouth, nearly choking on the gooey filling. "Ready to give up?" Marcel asked me excitingly. I shook my head, not being able to talk with the heavy feeling in my throat.

I thought about getting a slow drink from my mug, but as I saw the steam still pouring out of the mug, I decided not to. Once I felt my throat clear up again, I reached for a cupcake and hesitantly took a bite. This one tasted very nutty, too nutty. There was a crunch in every bite, dominating the crumby cake flavor that was its base. It was really disgusting, but tolerable, unlike the other cake. Marcel's box was almost empty box. He was struggling to finish his last cupcake and was slowly taking bites of it. I decided to continue too, and took a another small bite out of the cake and chewed quickly, so I didn't have to bear with the taste for that long. I repeated this process until I was almost done with the cake. Then I realized that Marcel was finishing his. He put the rest of it in his mouth swallowing it right away while cringing. I took a napkin and spit out the rest of the cake that I was chewing.

"Ew!" Marcel shouted. The ladies behind us glared at our table as they walked out the door.

"Sorry, it was disgusting. I give up." I admitted.

"Well, I guess you'll be doing my homework for the next week."

"Can't I just do it for three days," I batted my eyelashes in innocence.

"Absolutely not! Aren't you the one who wanted to raise it to a week?" He asked looking very smug. We threw our boxes away and walwd towards the door of the shoppe. I rolled my eyes at my own defeat as he held the door open for me. "Unfortunately," I sighed.

"Thanks," I said. Mostly thanking him for holding the door, but partially for the date.

"Sure."

"I had fun. Ya know that, right?"

"You did."

"Yes, it wasn't bad." I said truthfully. "Besides that horrible deal I made." I joked, getting a slight chuckle from Marcel.

"But I..I am willing to make you a deal. Well, a new deal. To make up for the other....one." I looked up at him, but he was focused on his feet that were padding against the cobblestone road.

"And what is that?"

"If....maybe you could uhm, let me take you out again. Like....uh, another date?"

I smiled at his nervousness, but he didn't look at me.

"Only if you want," he said quickly. Since I didn't talk for a bit, he must've gotten the wrong sign.

"No, well...I mean yes. I'd love to go out with you again."

"Really," he looked up at me with a huge grin plastered on his face, lighting up his eyes.

"But maybe next time, you should try to not make me want to throw up." We both laughed together recalling the memories of the horrible sweets. He opened the door for me and trotted to the other side of the car once I got in.

"It's already eleven?!" I asked after glancing on the clock. I was almost home and I guess I completely forgot about how much time we were a cry ally out tonight.

"Yeah, I know right? Time flies when you're having fun!" He smirked.

"We have school tomorrow!" I began to worry about the lack of sleep I would get.

"Relax. You'll get plenty of sleep." He answered, reading my thoughts.

"Why couldn't you wait until the weekend?!" I asked getting even more frustrated. I can't believe I completely forgot that I had school tomorrow. I couldn't even remember if I finished my homework. He shrugged his shoulders as he pulled up to my house. I started to fiddle with the ends of my shirt while growing nervous about tomorrow. I never turned in homework late or was late for class. And I wasn't going to let a stupid date change that. But a marvelous date. But fake. But one of the most realistic relationships I have been in. Also, I'll have to face the wrath of my mother for being out so late on a school night. When the car stopped I opened the door and jumped out of the car. Walking quickly across the lawn, ruining the freshly trimmed grass, probably work of my father. "I don't even get a goodbye?" He asked quietly, following me up to the porch. "I really need to get inside." I was much more calmer than before. He put his hands in his coat pocket and looked down.

"Are...well, are you mad at me?" I sighed at how hurt he felt by my rush to get away. "I could never be mad at you. It's just that my mum is going to kill me," I laughed nervously. He slowly smiled while lifting his head.

"I understand. Bye Addy." He stood there awkwardly staring at me.

"Um...Bye?" I replied, not sure if that's what he was looking for. He nodded his head and took a step closer to me. I already knew what he was going to do.

"See ya at school tomorrow." He said.

"Yup, I said popping the p. This couldn't get weirder.

"Well, I'm gonna go now." I turned to the door, but Marcel grabbed my wrist and pulled me into his chest. His hands cupped my cheeks as he pressed his lips to mine powerfully. It wast expected, but I didn't hesitate to kiss back. He gently sucked on my bottom lip before pulling away, leaving me breathless. His hands were still on my cheek for a few seconds. He kissed my head and walked away. "Oh, see you tomorrow Addy!" He waved at me before driving away on his car. Leaving me clueless alone on the porch.