Revamped Chapter Two: Nova

Chapter Two: Nova

"Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind."

Arthur Roche

"Mom, do I have to go?" I ask desperately as she stands in front of me picking through clothes looking for something "suitable" for me to wear, but I cannot imagine that such attire exists in my closet.

"Yes, Lyra you have to go. You are doing a duty to your pack. We have taken care of you for many years and now, we need your help and you are trying everything to..." The words about to leave her mouth stop and an audible gasp is heard as my mom yank on a piece of clothing and flies backwards.

"Woo!" she exclaims as she holds up a shirt with as many flowers as possible stitched into the loose, see-through fabric. "This would be perfect with a tank top."

"Mom," I groan distastefully. The shirt looks hideously uncomfortable.

"Nova," she says mockingly. "Your father bought jeans and shoes for you to wear also." I start to protest. "I swear to god if you say one more word about how you don't want to go, I will get your father to kill me. And I absolutely know, you do not want a dead mother." Her eyes connect with mine and sheer dominance is penetrating my gaze.

My mom is very dominant and sometimes, I believe she wasn't meant to be a submissive female, but I see her with my dad sometimes and she is complete putty in his hands. Regardless, she is scary as hell and I would hate to be on her bad side. She is strong, but a vigilante of sorts. She believes in doing the right thing, but also in kick ass first, ask questions later. There is no doubt in my mind that I need to shut up before I become a victim of her cruel methods.

I take my hand and raise it in a zipping motion across my face. She lays out my outfit carefully even demonstrating how to put it on. I laugh as her arms get stuck in the wholes of the contraption and tear it.

"How did you even rip it? It should fit over your nonexistent chest easily." I laugh hardily and she looks pissed, but I can't help but tease the woman as she is just too easy of a target.

"I am so sick of you talking about my breasts, young lady. You keep pointing out the flaws in my chest, but why do you look? Do you need to tell us the real reason you don't want to be mated to Apollo, the soon-to-be-alpha? Is it because he's male?" I fucking choke as I gasp.

"I do not like females, you meanie pants." She laughs. "I thought mothers were supposed to love you. Not be a bitch all the time." I paled as the realization that I had called my mother bitch became a reality.

I jumped up. "I think I hear Father calling me," I say dashing out the door as my mom lunges for me.

My hair is flowing behind me as I sprint away from the demon lady I call a mother. She may literally kill me. I mustn't have been paying attention as I collide with a very broad shoulder. The shoulder knocks into the center of my chest and I gasp as the wind leaves my body.

My hand grips my chest as I look behind me and see my mother hot on my tails. My gaze then drifts up and I see a massive mass of a man. I begin to look him over. He has jet black hair with deep red streaks grazing through it. His blue eyes stand out in his face. They remind me of swimming pool water, but they also seem to steam like a sauna. I memorize every feature of his face as I stare at him. His muscles bulge out of his dark green shirt and his legs look powerful. He has an aura around that can only mean he is an alpha. He's beautiful but scary.

I stand up slowly mesmerized by the man in front of me. He clears his throat, but I pay no attention to his uncomfortableness. I reach my hand out and grab his at his side and begin to shake it. I know I am engaged, but it doesn't mean I can't sample the salad bar.