ten

chapter ten:

            “I think we need to talk Harry.” Zayn said, his voice filled with anger. He was in the basketball park with his poorly painted red convertible.

            Harry leaned his combat boot covered foot against the wheel of the car and Zayn crossed his arms leaning against the door of the car staring at the basketball players taking a drag of his cigarette, “What did you do this time, Malik?”

            “It’s about blind boy,” Zayn internally flinched at the nickname, he has felt like he became so close to Liam lately.

            “What about him?” Harry twisted his face in disgust.

            “We got paired up for a project to volunteer for that garden day thing.”

            “Since when do you volunteer?” Harry cackled at how funny that sounded and how funny it would look.

            “Since never, we got forced for class.” Zayn blew the smoke upwards towards the sky and watched the gray smoke drift into the air leaving a dirty scent in the air.

            “Sucks.”

            “Yeah, I guess.” Zayn frowned towards the floor this wasn’t the conversation he wished he could have with his friend. He wanted to tell him that he kissed Liam, that he thought Liam was cute because of his vulnerability, he thought he wanted to cuddle him because how cute would it be for a burn-out like Zayn to be with a vulnerable Liam?

            “So, what’s up with blind boy what did you want to tell me?”

            “Nothing. Nothing. I just,” Zayn sighed and threw the cigarette on the floor and squeezed it flat with the bottom of his shoe wishing he could do that with Harry for being such a twat sometimes, “I just… I wanted to tell you I thought it was interesting.”

Zayn opened the door and slammed the door shut, “I’ll see you around Harry, thanks a lot mate. Had fun hanging with you, see you.”

Harry stumbled away from the wheels of the car confused and stared away as the car drifted away.        

//

“If it’s Zayn Liam says he wants nothing to do with you, I’m sorry.” Liam’s mom’s caring voice said in a sad tone.

“Please Mrs. Payne, please.” Zayn leaned against the door with the side of his body.

“I’m so sorry Zayn, I’ve never seen my son so upset and sad. I’m sorry, I think it would be better if you leave, thank you.” Her voice mumbled over the other side of the door.

Zayn groaned, “Fine, then, thank you Mrs. Payne.”

            Zayn paced the porch with a sense of dejavu of when he they fought a yesterday night. He couldn’t get the fight out of his mind, it made him sad looking back on it and realizing he never apologized. Why have an argument when he was so rude to Liam all these years? Why not apologize when he has the chance rather than regret it?

            Zayn speed walked with a hint of a jog in his steps around the house looking for windows. He then found a window with the curtains down, but folded so that sunlight came in. Zayn peeked through the cracks of the curtains and saw Liam leaning in the bed with headphones on staring into nothing, bobbing his head to the song.

            Zayn knocked on the window.

            Then, he knocked again.