47. Unexpected Delivery..

Justin

My heart pounded in my chest as I walked behind Zahara through the hospital doors. She stopped by the elevator and held onto her lower stomach while crouching down. It's going on four in the morning  and her contractions are now less than five minutes apart.

I reached out to help her up but she pushed my hand away and continued to take deep breaths in and out. The elevator doors opened and she was still in the same position.

"Come on"

"I'm in pain!"

"I know, but we have to go upstairs to labor and delivery"

She stood up and slowly stepped onto the elevator, it's hard to see her in so much pain. I feel bad because she's only thirty six weeks pregnant. He's not even supposed to be born this soon yet she's in labor. Maybe if she hadn't of gone through my phone this wouldn't be happening. I don't really know but I do feel some guilt about the stress I've put on her.

When the doors opened I moved out of the way so that she could step off. With each step she started breathing heavier, I just watched helplessly. As much as I would love to take the pain away I can't. Plus I don't wanna overwhelm her by asking her the same question over and over.

We were met by a nurse who introduced herself and asked for our names before we could go further. They knew we were coming, her dad called and let them know that we were on our way. He's gonna deliver the baby, with everything we've been through this pregnancy. It's only right that we put our trust into the only doctor that has been able to handle the complications she has faced so far. I honestly don't trust anyone else with the responsibility of safely delivering my son.

Micheal has Zari, we didn't wanna bring her because she'd get restless and start acting up. The last thing I need to do is chase her around the hospital. The nurse stopped at a small room and started going through a drawer. She turned around and held up a gown and some hospital socks.

"Take everything off and put these on while I step out of the room"

She sat it on the bed and walked out of the very small room. I'm guessing this is where you go before you actually get a room. Zahara took her coat off and walked towards the bed and grabbed the gown.

"Can you help me, please"

I sat everything I had down and helped her get out of her shirt. She started to take her underwear off and I looked at her strangely.

"You have to take them off?"

"How else are they gonna check to see if I'm dilated? I can't push the baby through my underwear"

"But I didn't think you had to take them off right now"

She looked at me and just shook her head. I don't know, I have never been through this before. I'm not gonna know exactly when or how things are done, this is all new to me.

She sat on the bed and held her hands over her face. She has been trying her hardest not to cry but the pain is getting worse. I commend her, I don't think I would be able to do it if the roles were switched. And trust me I've been in pain before but I'm sure none of it compares to this.

I took the socks and put them on her feet while she grabbed the side of the bed. She held onto the bed for a good minute before she let go and laid back on the bed.