2.

" Ma!" I yelled rushing down the stairs. " You working today or no?"

" Why, so you can hang with that little girl?" The venom in her voice made me kiss her cheek.

She was only behaving this way out of jealousy. Ever since I met Paris a little over two weeks ago, we've been hanging out. Going to places she was familiar with, helping her get her room together and talking on the phone.

" No, so you can meet that little girl." I laughed. " You look cute, you can meet her now."

" In my pajamas? Ohaji, really?" She sung stepping away from the stove.

I sucked my teeth and brushed her off. " So, we all in our pajamas." I looked out the kitchen window to see Paris walking her dad to his car holding his coffee.

They exchanged a few words, a hug and he kissed her head then drove off. Before she went in the house, I rushed to my front door. " Paris!"

" What?" She asked with her hand on her hip. " Why are you yelling like a crazy person?"

" Come over right quick!" By the look on her face I knew she didn't want to. " Pleeeease Paris?"

She rolled her eyes and stomped her lil tail cross the street. When she made it over I kissed her cheek and smiled. " Thanks Paris."

" Yeah yeeeeah." She sung rolling her eyes. " Why would you even want me to come over and I'm in my pajamas."

" That's the same thing I said." My mama laughed stepping into the living room. " Hi Sweetie, I'm Afeni."

" I'm Paris, it's nice to meet you." She smiled hugging my mom. " You have a lovely home."

" This old thing, thank you." She smiled knowing damn well this house ain't even that old. " My son here says you're the new neighbors."

" Yes, my dad and I. Your son has been nothing but a sweetheart to me. I appreciate it so much."

By the look on my mom's face she was impressed by Paris and how sweet she was. It took her by surprise. " Why thank you, I'm trying."

" And doing well, it's hard to raise a black man in society and you're doing an amazing job."

" Well I'll have to meet your father and tell him about his lovely daughter."

" Thank you." Paris smiled innocently. " But he won't be back until the time that the both of us are sleeping, I'll have him come by and you two can meet. He's still trying to adjust."

" Well whenever is fine, we're literally right across from each other. We'll run into each other one of these days."

" I'll have to properly introduce you two, unlike Ohaji who loves to yell across the street and have me come over dressed inappropriately."

" My bad Paris." I laughed making her dramatically imitate me. " You can go home now, I just wanted you to meet my mommy."

" You yelled at me from across the street, can you at least walk me home?"

I looked at my mom and once she gave me a nod, I smiled at Paris. " Let's go, girl."

We walked to her house and she stopped me at the door. " Bye, I gotta get dressed."

With my brows furrowed, I stepped back confused. " Why I can't come inside?"

" Because my daddy would kill me if you came in while he's not here and I don't want you snooping through my stuff."