Chapter 43

Slowly my eyes opened and the light that bombarded them caused me to flinch back in pain. I felt as if my head had been run over by a semi-truck that reversed and then drove back over it a third time. My body felt numb and I couldn't remember how I got outside. 

Whatever I was lying on wasn't cold, hard and uncomfortable like the metal table I was on in Sergei's fortress of solitude. Taking in a deep breath caused my breath to hitch as the pain hit me right in the chest. The bits of pain that covered my body really presented themselves whenever I shifted just a little bit.

Opening my eyes once more I realized that it wasn't the light from the sun and we weren't outside. I was back inside on a bed, much like a hospital bed but this time I wasn't strapped down. My first instinct was to jump up but someone's hand held me steady.

"Don't go doing anything crazy now babe." Damien scolded me as he held me down.

Looking over a grin, well what I had hoped was a grin, spread across my face. Damien smiled back at me and reached up running his hand through my hair. I sighed heavily and leaned into his hand as it trailed down my face, soothingly.

"We were worried about you." Imani purred as he leaned over my other side and pressed his lips to my cheek sending little tingles from the connection of skin to skin.

Turning to face him I smiled warmly seeing the genuine worry in his eyes as he pulled away from my cheek. He reached forward and pushed a stray strand of hair from my face. Mateus appeared on the other side of Imani and although he was smiling as well it seemed more forced.

"What's wrong?" I questioned him.

"Why would you automatically assume something is wrong?" He questioned.

"I know my mates." Was my only reply.

"Sergei escaped. Once he realized that we had him surrounded he figured it would be better to run away like the coward he was after he bit into your neck. Aiden, the brothers and your uncles chased after him but it seemed like whatever he did worked.

He was able to shift into a large condor and fly away. We don't know what that means for you but the healers said that once you rest and replenish the blood that you had lost you should be fine. You've been out for about two days off and on. You woke up yesterday but all you did was whisper something about candy and fell back asleep." Mateus laughed before sobering back up.

"So he's the Ultimate Shifter now?” I questioned pushing myself back up on the bed.

"No, he's not. That's what you are." Imani replied stroking the side of my face with the back of his hand.

"If you say so." I sighed.

"We do so stop arguing with us because you have a few people who want to see you before you pass out again." Mateus laughed.

As soon as the words left his mouth the door to the room was thrown open and in rushed the rest of my family. The decent sized room seemed to shrink as my brother, brothers-in-law, my mother, our kids, my uncles and even Andrej, Jenny, and Devon were there.

All four kids piled onto the bed as I moved over to accommodate them. Aiden pushed his way past everyone else, including my mates and stood by my side. Looking up at him I smiled warmly loving the fact that he was so worried about me.

"If you ever do that again I will save you again and then personally kill you myself." He growled out as he leaned over and wrapped me in a hug.

"Do what?" I questioned as he tightened the arms around me.