Chapter 33

"We don't have to set up a date for the celebration because there won't be one." Mateus grumbled for about the third time since this conversation started.

Andrej had been asking him over and over again when he should send out the invitations for some sort of royal ball that was to be held in honor of the King finally finding his mate, or mates, in this case. It was tradition to have everyone in the kingdom come out and feast with the King and his family for the night.

Around midnight a special ceremony was to be held to formally introduce the new mate to all in attendance. It was to be a grand affair with extravagant clothes, masks, music, food, dancing and everything. Unfortunately Mateus was so opposed to it that he had taken up residence in the bathroom in an attempt to hide from his brother. Lucky for him his brother doesn't know when to quit.

"We have to have it soon otherwise Father will come and force it. Then you'll be starting off on the wrong foot." Andrej whined at Mateus through the door.

It was cute watching their little brotherly display. Andrej was sitting on the floor with his legs criss crossed over each other with his arms crossed over his chest pouting. It seemed like he was almost relaxed in our presence but you could still sense the regality of his every movement.

Imani, Damien and I sat on the bed a couple of feet from where everything was going on just watching it as it happened. We weren't sure what we could do or even if we wanted to do something. We had no idea that Mateus was a King so how in hell could we even know what any of this meant to him.

"He can try and force the celebration if they want! Hell they can even plan the entire thing out but neither I, nor my mates will be there." Mateus declared from behind the door.

"Why not?" Andrej whined.

"You know why." Mateus muttered from the other side of the door.

Sighing heavily I pushed myself up from off the bed and headed over to them. I bent down and tapped Andrej on the shoulder before indicating that he should move out the way. He stumbled over himself a bit to move out of my way.

"Mateus open the door and come out here to talk to us like a decent person." I demanded.

"I don't want to!" He shouted back like a petulant child.

"Mateus if I have to break this damn door down I will!" I yelled back.

"Fine...." He grumbled before a series of locks and clicks sounded on the other side.

"Damn. How many locks you need on a bathroom door?" I asked turning to look at Andrej who just shrugged his shoulders.

The door was flung open and my mate walked out with a frown on his face. He didn't say anything; instead he walked over to the bed and plopped down on it next to Damien who instantly wrapped his arm around him.

"What is the big deal with having this celebration thingy?" I asked as I came to sit down on his other side.

"I never even wanted to be King." He sighed. "I shirked my responsibilities as King and went to live in the mortal world under the pretense of finding my mate. But that wasn't the case. I just wanted time away from everyone and everything. I wasn't expecting to find any of you so soon." He answered.

"So you weren't even looking for us?" I asked softly feeling a bit heartbroken.

"Honestly? No. I didn't want a mate just yet. I went from having all sorts of responsibilities to having none and I didn't want to find my mate because then I'd have to come back and resume by duties as King." Mateus explained.

"Can't you just delegate or something?" Damien asked.

"No. I have to be the one to make all the final decisions. The only time those rules wouldn't count would be when I'm looking for my mate. My father has been handling everything since I've been gone and I'm sure that he already knows that I'm back and is just waiting for me to come and tell him that I've found my mate and that I'm ready to take my place as King." Mateus finished with a heavy sigh.