Chapter 31

The knocking on the door broke us from our conversations. The giggling upstairs told us that the kids were getting along well enough not to have to worry about them but the threat was still there and it was still real. This lady sitting in front of us was a victim and so was her husband. Those kids were now fatherless and it bothered me that one man could cause so much hurt.

"That must be the wolves my father sent." Damien remarked as he excused himself and headed towards the front door.

"Imani can you get the kids?" I asked turning toward him.

He nodded his head and rose to go get the four kids happily playing upstairs. That left Mateus and I with the woman who had barely spoken to us the entire time we sat here. She would often zone out and we would have to repeat questions four and five times but it was understandable. Her mate had just died and now she was unsure of how to go on.

I couldn't imagine how it would feel to lose anyone of my mates and I certainly didn't want to find out. Although the man had just recently died she looked like she was on the brink of death herself. Her skin was pale and sickly and her eyes were void of all happiness and life. She put on a front when the kids were in the room but now that it was just us she couldn't keep up the facade.

"I know that I haven't been the best company possible but thank you for all that you've done for my kids and me." She thanked us.

"Don't worry about it. After having to deal with that Alpha of yours I'd be willing to help you out any way possible." I replied.

"Do you mean that?" She asked hopefully scooting closer to the edge of her seat.

"Yes. After seeing what he could do to his own pack mates and knowing what you've been through I would do whatever I can to help you and the kids."

"I'm glad you said that because I want you four to be the ones to watch over them if anything happens to me." She told us.

"Um...You may not know this but I'm only nineteen. I don't think I'm very qualified to watch over that many children." I explained nervously. She flashed me a weak smile before she spoke.

"I can see in your eyes that you would never let anything happen to those kids. When your two little boys came in I knew that if anyone would have to watch my kids it would be you four. I'm not planning for anything to happen but I know my Alpha and I know what he is capable of doing." She finished with a low growl.

"We would be honored to watch after Rue and Takaya if anything were to happen." Mateus spoke up just as Damien came through with two shifters, one man and one woman.

"This is Justin and Sasha and they are here to lead you to my father's pack. They drove here so that the kids would have somewhere to sit instead of clinging onto your back." He explained as the two visitors stood in the doorway.

"Thank you." She replied sweetly to him.

With all the visitors we were having today I'm glad that I made sure we were all dressed properly in shirts and jeans instead of the boxers we had originally come out the room in. I don't think that any of us would have been able to concentrate on the seriousness of these conversations with the way we were looking before.

Mateus was now dressed in a plain white shirt and a pair of black jeans while Damien wore a red Hollister shirt and a pair of low riding jeans. Imani was in a simple pair of black skinnies and one of Damien's shirts that hung off his left shoulder just a bit. Even with clothes on my mate were just as sexy.

"Mom! We don't want to leave..." Rue interrupted my thoughts as she whined while she came around the corner with Takaya following a step behind her.