Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Nicholai's POV

As if I needed any more stress in my life. My head bounced annoyingly off the window as I rested against it. Owen, Declan and Damien were in the back of the car with Mateus and I up front. Imani was running through the forest alongside the car as we made our way to his parents’ house. Yes I said it; we're headed to Imani's home now.

Listening to the crunching sound as the wheels rolled over the dried leaves that were in the road I thought about the night that we went out after everyone heard the news that we were mates. Both their parents were so against it. It was one of the first times that I realized how much I truly cared for them because when I saw the look in both Imani and Damien's eyes that night my heart broke.

The fact that Damien's parents were now okay with it put me at ease just a bit but just because his parents got over it doesn't mean that Imani's parents will. They were more serious and seemed to analyze everything which means that they weren't driven by feelings alone but they relied on the facts and the perceived outcome of the situation before making the judgment.

"It's not that big a deal babe." Damien reassured me from the back seat. I guess with the new connection he could sense the anticipation and anxiety rolling off me in waves.

"That's what you think. The last time I saw them they hated me." I told him turning around as best I could in my seat. He was sitting behind Mateus with Owen next to him poking at Declan who was sitting beside him.

"They didn't hate you. They were just shocked like my parents." He told me with a slight tinge of uncertainty to his voice. He was hoping just like I was that he was right and that they were just shocked but I had a sinking feeling that it was going to take a lot more to convince them then it did to convince Damien's parents that we were right for him and his people.

"You don't know that for sure you're just hoping that's what it is." I countered.

"Well if it can happen once it can happen twice." He told me confidently. Ignoring his last remark I rested my head back against the window as I watched the trees blur bye. The beautiful shades of green that meshed together were just enough to keep my mind busy as I focused my sight on them as we rode by.

A black shadow darted in and out of my line of sight as Imani ran through the forest. He was running deeper into the forest so as not to be seen by any other drivers that happened to be on the road. He moved with such elegance and speed that if you didn't keep your eyes on him you wouldn't know where he went.

His home wasn't too far from where Damien and his pack lived so it wasn't that far for him to run. The rest of us would have ran as well but considering that Mateus can't shift without being seen by everyone and Owen and Declan are still too young to shift we had to ride in the car. Not that it's a problem. I still have to figure out my shifting so that I don't tire out from shifting too many times.

Mateus began to slow down as we rode up to an iron gate with an intricate swirling design decorating it. There was a guard's station on the side of the road before you arrived at the gate with a man sitting inside. Something about him screamed shifter so I knew immediately that he was a part of Imani's community.