Chapter 28: Earning Trust

-Niska P.O.V-
My mother and father were killed, because of me.
They discovered I was a rosafelt child, but they didn't care. They believed that with enough effort, they could keep me hidden.
"Why am I not allowed to use my spell?" I had asked my father. He had smiled at me then, and simply told me one line.
"Because no-one can do what you can. You're special."
But I hadn't understood it at that age. If I'm special, isn't that a good thing? Shouldn't it be something I'm proud of?

I thought about my power a lot. What makes me special, if my power is the ability to become someone else?
"Mommy...I don't have an identity of my own," I would complain.
"Don't be silly," she'd reply. "You're Niska Raven, our little girl."

One day, I was upset. The kids in my village wouldn't stop teasing me.
"I bet you're a rosafelt child!" They shouted. "That's why you don't come to school!"
"Your parents are gonna get in a lot of trouble if the guards find out," they said. "Because that's what you are, isn't it?"
"N-No, I'm not..." I muttered, tears in my eyes.
"My mommy and daddy love me. I'm their little girl."
"Hey, it's okay," a boy had told me. "If you show us your power, we'll make sure nothing happens to your parents."
"You will?" I asked. "Really?"
"Yeah!" They all shouted, snickering under their breath.
So I showed them.

The next day, council guards were all over town. They were searching every single home, shouting out that someone had 'broken the law'.

"Hide in the basement, honey," my dad had said. "Daddy needs to have a word with the scary guys."
"O-Okay," I said quietly, making my way into the basement.
"Be a good girl," my mother whispered. "Be our little girl."

Only a few minutes had passed before the basement door opened again. But my father or mother did not come in. The guards, monsters in my younger self's eyes, barged in and took hold of me.
"I'm afraid you have to come with us now," one of them said.
"What about my Mommy and Daddy?" I asked, but as they led me out the basement, the scene explained itself.
The blood, the bodies.
"Our little girl."
I asked myself one question that day.
"If I'm not their little girl anymore, then who am I?"
I had spent my whole life believing I was nothing. That I was useless.
Until today.

"We're all here for you," Lucy said, smiling.
I saw them, then. My parents. Their bright eyes glistening with joy.
"I'm so happy..." I muttered. "I can finally...be someone."

-Erza P.O.V-
"He's behind you."
I checked the room when I entered...there couldn't possibly be anyone else in here!
I spun myself round, making sure I was ready to re-equip if necessary. But the room, as I had suspected, was completely empty.
"Amira, don't scare me like that," I told her, relaxing. She gave me a puzzled look, as if I was clearly missing something. However, she shortly after started laughing.
"Knox, are you disguising yourself again?" She asked.
There was a growl from behind me. The growl of a beast.
I glanced round again, slower this time. Now, I could see it. The fact that we were not alone.

It was so big that it covered half of the room. It had dark red feathered wings that were draped around itself, a body which was covered with the same coloured feathers. Giant talons grew from its feet, which were only metres away from me. It's head held similar features to a bird, but with bright blue eagle eyes that stared right through you
"Knox is a Phoenix," Amira said, walking over to him with ease. She stretched her arm out and caressed his feathered skin, while the creature purred with satisfaction.
It took me a moment before I could reply.
"T-This is your magic?" I stuttered. "But how?"
"Knox burnt my house down when I was two. Then the scary men found me and told me they would look after me," Amira explained.
"How did he find you? Did you create him?" I questioned, trying to figure out what her magic was exactly.
"I don't really remember, and no-one's ever told me. He's just always been here. Maybe he came from some magical world!" She replied, laughing. "Do you want to pet him? He won't hurt you, I already told him you're my friend," she added. I breathed in, then placed my hand on Knox's body. I could feel his breathing, his heartbeat. It was strangely magnificent.
"Knox is my best friend, aren't you?" Amira cried, jumping on top of him. "He only listens to me."
Knox was over triple Amira's size, yet he treated her with such delicacy. He wrapped his wings around her, treasuring her.
It was a strong bond, of loyalty and trust.