Chapter 14: Leaving Satina At Last

-Erza P.O.V-
"Are you okay, Erza?" Cana asked.
"Y-Yes, thank you..." I replied, still shocked by Lucy's behaviour.
"What was that about? She really looked like she wanted to kill you!" Cana added.
"I'm not sure. She was just getting angrier and angrier, until she completely lost it," I explained. I walked over to Lucy's unconscious body, and leaned down beside her.
"Is she okay?" I asked, slightly worried.
"She should be, I tried to hit her as lightly as possible..." Cana said, but her tone sounded unsure. I placed two fingers on her neck, and thankfully found a steady pulse.
"Phew, that's good," I said, standing back up. "I knew a hit like that wouldn't do any serious damage, but I just had to be sure."
I sighed heavily, glad that the whole situation was over.
"Anyway, why are you here?" I asked Cana. "Not that I'm not extremely thankful, but you seemed to show up at quite a convenient time."
"Well, Wendy came and told us that Natsu had woken up. After a few minutes of explanation and making sure that he was okay, Wendy told me you'd gone to find Lucy. I thought I'd come to help, and thank god I did."
"Well, once again, thank you. How's Natsu holding up?" I questioned further.
"Not too good," Cana replied. "Akari's illusion has really shaken him. He's not responding to what we're saying that well, and he's always got this 'look' on him."
"A 'look'? What do you mean?" I said. Cana sighed, feeling pity for him.
"He has this horrible look of loneliness. Like he's lost someone important to him."
"Well he has, in his eyes. Akari gave him a sister," I told her.
"A sister? What, in the illusion?" Cana replied, shocked. I nodded gravely.
"He has memories- that are as real to him as his true ones- of a sister since his birth. He may have simply woken up from an illusion, but today he has lost family. And we need to treat it like that."
"Of course we will," Cana said, nodding. "Anyway, let's get back to the hotel. Lucy should wake up in a few hours, then we'll leave first thing tomorrow," I said.
"Okay. Maybe Natsu will feel a bit better in the morning. Lucy too," Cana said,
half to herself.

-Natsu P.O.V-
I gazed out of the window, while the sun began to set.
"It's perfect for a sunset, right?"
Yes, Nova. It was.
I wondered if she'd lived on, in that world. Did she even have her own intelligence? Or was she just a bunch of words and magic bundled together? I thought about how upset she must've been, after my death. I hoped that she held onto her necklace, waiting for me to return to our perfect illusionary world.
But it wasn't perfect. Because she wasn't in it.
Of course, I was talking about Lucy. Every time I felt lost, or heard her whispering voice inside my head, I felt empty inside that world. I knew she was waiting for me, and that came before anything else. I still didn't know why, but I knew that feeling was there.
And now, after I'd finally returned to her, the first thing I did was scare her away and put her in danger. God, I was such an idiot. Nova wouldn't have wanted me to hold onto the past, she would've told me to keep moving forward, not matter what. I couldn't let her down.
"Natsu."
But I missed her. Every second I missed her. She smiled so innocently.
"Natsu."
Maybe one day, I could go and see her again. I don't know how, but maybe. Maybe there was still a way.
"Natsu!"
"Huh?" I muttered, glancing around. Wendy was sitting by my bed, staring at me with concerned eyes.
"You're still really out of it. Maybe your reflexes have slowed down or something..." She muttered to herself.
"Do we really have to do this now?" I asked her. I slouched down in my bed, so that half my face was under the cover. "I'm not really in the mood."
"Of course, I understand," she replied. "I'll give you some time."
"It's okay, Natsu," Levy said from behind. "Take all the time you need."
"Yeah, whatever-"
Suddenly, Erza burst through the bedroom door with Lucy in her arms. Everyone's heads switched to the door, alarmed.
"Erza? What happened to Lucy?" Wendy asked. Juvia and Levy were already about to come over and help carry her, but I was the first on my feet. In seconds I was in from to Erza, and I took Lucy out of her hands.
"Tell me what happened to her," I said sternly, while I began to take her over to the bed.
"Well, reflexes seem to be fine..." I heard Wendy mutter. Ever so carefully, I lowered Lucy into the bed. I took her pulse first, and relaxed when I found it beating steady. However, her body glowed slightly when my fingers touched her neck. After a few seconds, she suddenly gasped for air and her eyes flew open.
"Natsu?" She whispered, gazing at me. I smiled at her, then let out a sigh of relief. She wrapped her arms around me, and I allowed her to hug me as tightly as she needed to.
"Um...I guess you two are still all 'connected', then..." Cana said.
"Lucy went completely crazy," Erza told me, who had walked over to us both. "She was angry at Akari, and she wanted to kill her."
"Did you stop her?" I asked.
"Y-Yeah...Natsu, are you okay-"
"No, I'm not. But Lucy's safety comes first." I glanced at her weeping face over my shoulder.
"Always," I added softly.