Something's Different... That's Not a Good Thing.

*Uncle John's POV*

"I got a call from the police station. They said they let those kids off." I said as I climbed the stairs to Rose's room.

She had been there all afternoon cleaning her room or sitting on her bed looking into space as if she was trying to remember something. Maybe she was. I had let her sit there and had decided not to bother her but I wondered what it had been like for her, nearly drowning. I hadn't been able to help her at all!

"Rose?" I asked as I walked in and found her looking out the window.

"Hm?" She asked turning to me.

"I got a call from the police. Your friends got let off the hook." I said again.

"They did!?" She asked exitedly.

I nodded and she grinned and jumped up and down.

"Oh I'm so glad they're not going to jail!" She laughed, hugging me.

"I was thinking we could go out for dinner tonight. Where do you want to go?" I said chuckling a little at how happy she was.

She'd only been with them for 3 days and she seemed so worried about them. It was cute but it worried me as well.

"Could we go to Sticky Fingers?" She asked.

"Sure!" I answered "Let me grab my keys and license."

I walked back down the stairs and grabbed my wallet from the mail drawer in the kitchen. Then I sat down on the couch and turned on the TV. Rose wouldn't be down immediatly so I figured I could watch a bit of the football game that had started an hour ago. When she did finally come down she was in a pair of jeans and a purple short sleeved t-shirt. Her hair had been straightened and she'd put some make-up on.

"Are you ready?" She asked me with a smile.

"Certianly." I answered standing up and heading to the door.

We climbed into my car and drove to Sticky Fingers. The waitress led us to our table and handed us a menu then hurried away to show the next people to there seats. It wasn't very crowded and no one had decided to start smoking so it was actually quite pleasant. I glanced over the top of my menu and saw Rose scanning her's. It was great to have her back but at the same I felt part of her was missing. She was quieter then usual and she looked sad. It hurt to see her that way.

"What would you like to drink?" A tall, thin lady with glasses covering her hazel eyes and her black hair tied into a neat bun asked.

"I think I'll have a glass of water." Rose answered then looked over at me.

"Sweet tea, please." I said

"I'll be right back." The lady said smiling and left.

"Do you have anything planned for this summer?" I asked Rose as I scanned the menu for something good to eat.

"I was thinking a summer camp would be fun." She answered glancing at me.

"Hm. Which one did you have in mind?" I asked.

She couldn't possibly be wanting to leave after she just got back!

"Oh I don't know. Whatever camp is open next month." She shrugged.

I sighed in relief and continued to scan the menu.

"I'd also like to learn to swim." She said and I looked up at her in shock.

"What?!?" I asked placing the menu down.

"Well.... If I fall into the water again I need to know how to save myself before I drown." She answered seriously.

"What's gotten into you? If what happened to you had happened to me I'd never want to see water again. Much less learn to swim!" I stuttered still shocked at the sudden change.

Who was this person sitting across from me? It was like Rose was a completly different person!

"Uncle John listen to me! I'm not crazy! I work in an aquarium with water EVERYWHERE. What are the odds that I won't fall in again? If I do I could die and I'd never see you again and you would miss me. You are the only family I've got left and I don't want to leave you all alone." She said and I was speachless.

"Here are your drinks. Are you ready to order?" The waitress said coming back and setting down our drinks.

"Yes." Rose answered. "I'd like this cheeseburger with bacon and some onion rings."

"I'll have your steak Medium rare with  some brocolli on the side please." I said and handed her my menu.

"We'll talk about you learning to swim later. For now please just enjoy being home."  I said as the waitress left to get our food.

"I will." Rose said smiling sweetly up at me.