Please Back Off Man

*Jack's POV*

"You're too fast. The other coaches are getting on to me about how we cheat by putting you in everything. I don't know what your secret is son but if it's steroids I'm going to have to kick you off the team. Steroids are not only unfair they are horrible for you." Mr. Edwards said as I approached. "They can kill you."

"Sir. You know I would never do that! If you think it's unfair for me to swim my best I'll slow down. I don't want to get you fired and I don't want to get kicked off the team." I answered.

"Mr. Edwards, I have known Jack for like forever. Not only has he been on this team for 8 years but he's worked hard to get where he is. If you think he's too fast because of steroids then you are wrong. He works harder than any of us in this room. He is a dedicated swimmer and he only works this hard because he wants to make you proud. He's 17! Where the heck is he even going to FIND steroids!?" Drew said backing me up.

"I just don't know what else to think." Mr. Edwards said. "It's like you can live under that water. I hardly see you come up for air and when you do It's only to breath out! "

I froze. Did he know? He couldn't. It wasn't like I did anything to make him question me.

"Alright. Well in the next meet I want you doing the 100 butterfly. Don't do free style because the other swimmers don't have a chance. Drew, you'll be doing 100 breast and 50 back. I'm going to put Alexander in for 100 free and then Sammy in for 50 butterfly. I think he's ready for it. Nicolos and Calvin are going to be in the 100 back and then You'll go in for the 250 free Jack." Mr. Edward said.

For a guy who hated me he did a good job of making me the guy who told him whether or not the way he organized the team was smart or not.

"Why don't you put me in for 100 back and then Nick and Calvin in for 50. Both of them were out of breath today when they did the 50 so I don't want to push them." I answered.

"Alright. Drew, You'll be doing 100 back instead of 50. Jack you keep what I gave you. Also, practice for Sunday is cancelled because the school is having the pool cleaned." Mr. Edwards said.

I nodded an OK and followed Drew back up to where Rose had been sitting. She wasn't there and I panicked,

"Where is she? She wanted to leave didn't she?" I asked as I scanned the room.

"Maybe she's in the water?" Drew suggested.

"Who are you looking for?" Rose asked coming up next to us.

"You. Are you ready to go?" I said.

"Yep, let's go. I'm bored." She answered.

We all headed out to my car and I dropped Rose off at the house then started out to Drew's place.

"Look Drew, You're like the older brother I never had. But that doesn't mean you can just go after the girl I like." I said as we drove.

I was serious. I liked Rose. She was normal. Not to prissy and, not overly shy. She was also pretty.

"Sorry man. I didn't know you had dibs. You act like you don't like her. How was I supposed to know?" Drew said.

I was relieved to find that he was ok with me telling him to back off.

"Well, I don't really know how to act around a girl other then my sister. Besides, I don't even know what to say when it comes to asking her out!

Drew grinned, "You're hopeless."

"What? I've never cared before now." I said defensively.

"Look all you have to do is wait for the right moment then go 'Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to go out to dinner then maybe a movie.' It's a piece of cake." Drew chuckled.

"This is coming from a guy who got rejected by the prettiest girl on swim team." I said seriously.

"Hey cut me some slack. I took her out once. at least I HAD a girlfriend. That's more then you can say." He said.

By that time we'd reached his house.

"Which game you want to play?" Drew asked as we headed into the house.

"Whatever you're up to." I answered.

"Hey guys!" Drew's mom Shelley said as we walked in. "Would you like a snack I just put something in the oven. I think you'll like it."

"Sure mom," Drew answered and we headed up the stairs.