Chapter 17 - remorse and memories

CHaPTER 17

As I head back from Seth to go inside, I think about how he is way angrier than I ever thought he would be... I kinda feel bad. I mean, it was a hell of a thing to pull off and I would never damage his car... but yeah I kind of feel bad.

Sometime I do these things and don't really see what the consequences will be , I mean for some reason I didn't even think of the police coming around. I would have owned up if they took him.

I can't wait to get this stuff off; when I open the door I'm greeted by a stinging slap across my cheek.

I fist my hands by my sides so that I don't retaliate.
That will be the last time she lays her hands on me.

"Avalon," she seethes, here we go. "How dare you! I can't believe this I really can't. You have wrecked your chance with him Avalon. Wrecked it."

She clenches her own hands in fists, "It really is all their fault, every step of the way I was thwarted, in every part of your education I met with resistance. I don't know if I can salvage it, you're nothing but a feral bush pig. I hope he's happy now I really do because he will be stuck with you if I can't fix this."

.

Nice Mum thanks, when she says education and thwarted there are numerous memories that spring to mind. And by he... she means Nathan

I'll only go through a couple.

1) The proper posture lessons. I used to have to sit on a 'special seat' really straight with a book balanced on my head.

Why was the chair special because it had nails running along its spine so that it made you sit up straight, like a lady.

During this lesson my mother would make me repeat all these things that ladies should do... like... your hair should be brushed with at least two hundred strokes a day. When you eat soup you should angle the spoon outwards to scoop the soup.

You should never put a soup spoon in your mouth, jus touch it to your lips. You should never make a noise when dining on soup.

This went on for about two hours everyday. I think I was six?

The Thwart? Nathan smashed the chair and ripped up rule book.

2) Elocution lessons. I had to stand on an X and repeat the recordings on a tape. You know the sayings... the ones that go 'how now brown cow' but you had to say it like you were the Queen of England.

While repeating these phrases and exercises, I would have to wear this... brace thing. It looked like a broom handle that went parallel to the floor across the back of my shoulders and around my shoulders and chest was this hard band thing that reefed my shoulders back... and of course the book on my head.

The Thwart? Nathan broke the stick, burnt the band thing and took an axe to the tape player.

3) The fat calipers. Every week my dear Mother would use these big tweezer looking things to test if I was getting too fat, because men didn't not like fat women.

She would pinch the skin between the cold calipers on my stomach, on my shoulder blades and under my arm. If it was unsatisfactory, she would minimize my food intake, saying it was a good thing for me to learn anyway and would make me perform crunches.

While I did crunches, she would tell me that I would never meet a man being the way I was, that the only man I would attract would be deaf, blind, deformed and he would have no hands. She said unless I did this no one would ever love me.

The Thwart? Nathan said if she ever dared to use those again on me he would shove them up her arse.
Mind you Nathan would have only been around ten then I think.