Chapter 42, Just a Sip

Chapter 42

‘Vera, shake on it’.

Here I was standing in front of my brother; a big smile on his face as Cody stood next to me, his elbow nudging me every so often.

I had finally agreed somehow against my will that I would stop attacking my brother and actually try to get along and Cody had thought somehow that a simple handshake would seal the deal.

‘I am not touching him; it’s bad enough I have to see him every day’.

Dingo frowned at me; his hand held out like he was ready to move on but he had another thing coming if he thought it was going to be that easy.

‘Vera, take his hand before I make you’.

‘You can’t control me Cody!  He’s evil; he is not worth my trust’.

Cody was now rubbing his temples; having to put up with me apparently difficult for him lately.   

‘Vera please, it’s really not that hard’.

Looking down at Dingo’s hand; I considered it for a minute, my hand slowly coming up from my side as all went silent.

‘Think of this way Sis, you shake now, you don’t have to touch me again, it’s your call’.

 Still torn between wanting to trust my own brother, I quickly grabbed his hand, shaking it so quick that any human probably would have missed it, before turning on my heel and walking over to the stairs.

I heard Dingo chuckling as I walked away, I could even feel his eyes looking at the back of my head.

‘You haven’t changed much Sis; I’ll see you for dinner’.

Stomping my foot as I reached the stairs, I grunted regretting my decision to play nice Luna already, my toe stubbing on the steps as I climbed them; my face turning a raging red colour.

I didn’t even look back as I reached my room, slamming the door hard I walked over to the balcony, opening the doors gently knowing how fragile they were as I hopped onto the railing and took deep breaths of the quiet afternoon.

It was going to be a long rest of the day; it must have only been like three in the afternoon and I was already ready to rip my brother apart.

Hearing my stomach growl violently, my own body was betraying me.  Hearing the front door slam below me, I watched as Dingo made it his way out onto the lawn, his wolf looking around like he could sense my eyes on him.

‘Where are you Vera’?

Snicking at Dingo’s attempt, all he had to do was look up but that would be too difficult.  Sliding across the railing so I was directly above him, maybe we could call a truce just for now.

‘I’m above you…..’

Jumping down before Dingo could process my words; I landed with a loud thump on his back, it taking all Dingo’s force not to fall over from the impact.

‘Vera, what the hell’!

Laughing as I clung to Dingo’s back, he tottered around on his feet before falling on his stomach, the growl coming from his lips telling me I had pushed a button.

‘You know what Dingo; I think I can handle this truce as long as you keep doing silly things like walking under my balcony’.

Dingo tried to kick me off, my own form climbing off and around Dingo’s flailing limbs as he got to his feet, brushing himself off.