Chapter 39, Unexpected Reunion

Chapter 39

Stopping just on the edge of town, the guys seemed too concerned for my wellbeing as I jumped out, pretty much in the middle of nowhere although there were a few shops close by.

‘Are you sure you’ll be okay on your own’.

Sighing, this question had been asked ever since we stopped, I just wanted to be rid of these humans before I choked them to death.

‘Yes, for the last time, I will survive; now get back to your family before they think you’re missing’.

Ryle tried to pull me into a hug which I immediately backed away from, his body almost tripping like he hadn’t expected it.

Looking at me disappointed, he pulled a small piece of paper from his pocket; I already knew what it was going to be, hopefully this meant they’d leave me alone now if I took it.

‘Here, take this; if you need our help again, this my number, don’t be afraid to call me’.

Winking as he said this, Ryle really was too desperate for this own good.  Taking the piece of paper and sliding it into my back jean pocket, I smiled politely; my insides telling me to hurry up as the men piled back into the car.

The car now speeding back down the road, Kurt honked as Ryle practically had his whole body hanging out the window waving.

Waving politely back, as soon as the car was gone from sight, I began searching around for Gerald’s scent, growing annoyed the humans had wasted so much of my time.

Finally getting something faster than I had expected, Gerald seemed to have followed the highway for a bit, his scent still very strong being the only reason why I could smell it among these human’s barbaric stenches.

Jogging along the footpath, the few glances I got from people in passing cars told me I needed to get off the highway before I drew more attention; I was dressed not exactly normal and I looked well above average for these humans as it was.

Following Gerald’s scent, he finally had ended up darting across the highway as I took off along it, hearing horns blaring in every direction as I touched the pavement on the other side, my head looking back to see cars all over the road.

Ooops……….

Hearing them yelling curse words at me, I turned around now following Gerald’s scent into what seemed like the heart of the city; the tall buildings leaving me in awe as I passed them.

People walked by hastily with weird black bags and wearing suits I could only describe as hot in this sort of weather.

Everyone looked me over, trying to make their look discreet but I could sense everyone’s eyes looking at me as I picked up to a jog again, growing uncomfortable with so many eyes watching me.

Running into what seemed like an alleyway or side street, I didn’t know what these humans would call it, Gerald’s scent was so strong it was like he was here and as soon as my eyes landed on a familiar figure talking to someone I froze.

Standing right there was Gerald, his back to me as he spoke to some other guy; from the smell of it, it was another wolf but what were wolves doing this south of our land?

Standing there, I didn’t go unnoticed as the two men stopped talking briefly and the wolf gestured behind Gerald, Gerald’s eyes soon meeting mine as he turned around.

‘Well look who it is, you followed me all the way here Vera; I’m impressed’.

Growling, any wolf could easily pick up my threatening sound whereas a human would just think I was coughing, the growl was that subtle.