Chapter 29, An Interesting Day

Chapter 29

Standing just inside the glass doors, I saw a dark figure; his body illuminated by the bright moon light.

He was frozen in place, the feel of his eyes watching me, making me grow uneasy.  His hands were slung by his sides, his hair neatly trimmed.

‘Hello Vera’.

It was Gerald who stood there, his face lighting up somewhat now that I knew his name.  Pulling what looked like a piece of paper from his pocket, I tried to run my eyes over what it was about but couldn’t due to the lack of light in the room.

‘You got my note, I see’.

Sitting up in bed, I hugged the blankets to myself, not understanding why Cody wasn’t here.

‘What do you want Gerald’!

Spitting through my teeth, everything felt so real; it was like Gerald was really there, really playing mind games with me.

Bringing the piece of paper to his lips, he inhaled its scent before scrunching it up into a ball.

Something flashed past me as I realised Gerald was now lying in bed next to me; his eyes staring at me like I was stupid.

‘I want to kill you Vera………..’

My wolf lunged at him that instant, my pyjamas tearing into shreds as my wolf sprang onto of him; my eyes so close to his, surely Gerald was feeling some sort of fear.

‘VERA’!

A voice was echoing through my head as I tried to concentrate on Gerald; his was simply lying there smirking, not even having a care in the world.

Snapping my teeth in his face, as soon as I looked again it was Cody who was there; my wolf immediately backing down to Cody grabbing onto my snout.

‘Vera, wake up already’!

My eyes snapping open, I realised no matter how lame it was that I’d actually dreamed up old Gerald and I had actually attacked Cody.

His face staring at me with shock, his hands were clamped around my mouth, stopping any chance of my biting his head off.

Trying to pull away from his hold, Cody held on tight; his grip so strong when he was even human.

‘We need to talk Vera’.

 My wolf now taking her seat on Cody’s lap, he seemed surprised that I wasn’t fighting against him as my head slumped on his shoulder.

Letting go of my mouth as his hand began to scratch between my ears, I leant into the movement; my wolf wanting and needing the comfort right now.

‘I wake to my mate’s teeth about to grab my skull and I think I deserve some answers, don’t you Vera’?

My wolf whimpering as I curled my head against Cody’s, I had no idea how I wasn’t crushing him right now, I mustn’t have given him enough credit for how strong he was.

‘It’s just Gerald’.

Cody didn’t even try to sit up as my wolf still sat on him, the growling in the pit of my throat now ceased as I tried not to tell Cody too much.

‘If it’s just Gerald, why didn’t you tell me’?

The truth was, it was Dingo who I was worried about but I couldn’t tell Cody.  He was about to go to war with him; I just hoped Dingo made it out of there alive by surrendering.

‘I just didn’t want to bother you’.

His arms now trying to wrap around me as he pulled me into a hug, I heard Cody chuckle of all things.