Chapter 31, Mates

Chapter 31

Sitting there like a stunned peacock (if that is even possible); I searched Helen’s eyes for what she really wanted to know as I came up empty.

‘Everything’s going okay, from what I understand we’re going to war next week’.

Touching my fingers together, saying this conversation put me on edge would have been an understatement as it full on freaked me out.

Helen leaned forward suddenly, her body language telling me she wanted to get something off her chest before Cody returned.

‘I know you don’t like small talk sweetie, so let’s just get to the good bit, I ask as your future mother in law that you please give my son a chance; it would break my heart to see him crumbled because his mate rejected him’.

Well that was definitely cutting to the good bit…….

Stuttering on my first words a little, I didn’t expect Helen to confront me like this at all.

‘I haven’t rejected him, I’m just not used to this yet, I’ve only been here a little over a week; I’m still adjusting you could say’.

Helen began to chuckle with her innocent mother voice as I heard Cody coming back down the hall towards us.

‘I never said you had dear, I’m just asking you open your heart to him; as cliché as that is, and you may be surprised with what you find’.

Unable to say anything as Cody walked in; his eyes automatically relaxing as he saw what he thought was us talking nicely together, he sat down next to me, taking my hand in his.

‘What are we talking about women’?

Looking between us, Cody didn’t really want the answer; he was just trying to rub it in that I was talking to his Mum.

‘We’re talking about the first day you became a wolf sweetie’.

You know, maybe Helen wasn’t so bad; Cody’s face going a pale colour as he looked between Helen and I trying to find the truth.

‘Ah….really, how about I go wait outside, I don’t want to hear this story again’?

Helen put her hand out to stop Cody as she looked me in the eye like she was asking me to play along.

Grabbing Cody’s other arm, he seemed torn between the two of us holding him back, sitting back down on the couch as he sat uncomfortably, like this was the worst story his Mother could tell.

‘So Vera, when Cody was sixteen if I remember rightly, he had a….rather interesting first shift you could say……..’

Actually wanting to hear this story, I leant forward on the couch; my elbows now resting on my knees as my head was supported by my hands.

Helen seemed to continue her story; a big grin on her face as she enjoyed embarrassing her son.

‘Aside from the screams of pain and all that, as soon as Cody shifted he struggled with something rather unusual; he couldn’t walk, he would wobble and stumble on his face; it was quite funny actually’.

Chuckling, that actually would have been pretty amusing to watch; the soon to be Alpha stumbling on his feet like a newborn pup, such a shame I missed it.

‘I believe Burt spent the next day actually teaching Cody here how to walk; he was so precious then Vera, it’s a shame time has taken its toll’.

Chuckling, I could only imagine what it would have been like.

My first experience shifting was nothing special, I had just carved up my bedroom walls in the process, me being the hopeless wolf I was, having no idea how to control myself.