Chapter 56

Twitter: Tweet/Follow me: @PlsGoAweyhey

Don't forget to fan/follow on this! Don't be a ghost reader!

Songs I listened to while writing -
Call Me When You're Sober - Evanescence
Russian Roulette - Rihanna
Take Me To Church - Hozier
Right Now - One Direction

BTW, I'm starting a Harry fic tomorrow so make sure to check it out :)

~500k reads you guys are awesome~

_____________

*Louis' PoV*

As I got back to my house, I was unsure of what to do with myself. I paced around the hallway furiously, trying to come up with a plan of action. I wanted to find the nearest bar and get absolutely fucking pissed, man, I really did, but if I wanted to fix things with T, that was the last thing I should do.

I knew that if I went to the pub, even to have 'just one drink', I would end up having a lot more than just one, and that couldn't lead to anything beneficial. I would just lose my conscience and most likely end up taking home some easy slut who had no self-respect, out of force of habit. Even thinking about it made me shudder with disgust, my past lifestyle now sickening me.

I couldn't help but worry about how much he had told her, and what exactly he had said. I mean, yes, I was a dick, but, knowing Greg, he would probably twist my words around and make everything sound even worse than it really was. Judging from the look Trinity had worn on her face when she saw me, he must have told her something pretty bad. She looked so angry, but there was something behind it. I hadn't noticed at the time, but as I pondered over it as I strode from door to door, I placed it as... fear.

Shit,
she was afraid of me.

I began to panic and brought my hands up to my head, my breathing becoming erratic as I realised that I had done the one thing I had promised myself I would never do. I had made a girl frightened of me.

It was in that moment that I grasped just how much I had fucked everything up. At first, I was struck with guilt and melancholy. However, the more I thought about it, I came to a different conclusion. One that was probably completely and utterly wrong and messed up, but, in that moment, I couldn't have given two flying shits.

My logic was that, seeing as I had already fucked things up massively, I might as well go for the home run and just do everything I needed to do that I thought would make the situation worse. Better to get it over with than to have an endless cycle, or that was my train of thought at the time, at least. But the thing I needed to do couldn't be done until the morning, which meant I would have to wait. As I glanced at my watch, I cursed under my breath. It was ten o'clock at night - I had at least 10 hours to kill before I could do what I needed to do.

I knew that if I stayed up for a while longer, tiredness would take over and I would end up doing something I would regret, so I figured it would be better to go to sleep. I trod towards my bedroom, lacing my fingers together over my head as I exhaled slowly in an small attempt to rid myself of the memories of the earlier incident at the shopping centre that intruded into my mind.

That technique failing, I pulled my t-shirt over my head and went into the bathroom to brush my teeth before bed. Looking in the mirror, the difference that my features had seen in merely a week was evident. My cheeks were sunken and bags had fallen to rest under my dull eyes. And the cause was evident - Trinity. Or lack there-of.

I looked away from the mirror, the image paining me, and instead splashed water across my face, patting it dry with a towel. I moved everything so it was roughly back where it started out and ambled towards the bed, casually pushing the bathroom door closed behind me. I pulled off my jeans as I slotted into bed, pulling the covers over me and turning off the lamp that sat on the bedside locker. I made sure to set an alarm on my phone for the morning, eager not to miss my opportunity to finish things and put everything right, finally.

The sheets were cold against my skin as I lay there, and I was again reminded that Trinity didn't lie beside me, so I couldn't pull her close to me for warmth. I shuffled around, trying to get comfortable, and wrapped myself in a sort of cocoon to provide heat. When I finally found a decent sleeping position, I closed my eyes, resting my head against the pillow, and prayed everything would go smoothly tomorrow.

***

I woke up at exactly nine in the morning, as planned. I gave myself no time to think about my actions as I got dressed, afraid that I would chicken out if I lingered too long on my thoughts. I pulled my clothes on numbly and grabbed my keys, heading out of my house only five minutes after I had woken up. I was too anxious to get this over with to spend unnecessary time where I didn't need to be.

My car hummed as it came to life and an evil smirk came over my features as the dark part of my conscience was awakened with the anticipation of what I was about to do. Throughout the drive, I focused on keeping my thoughts occupied with anything except for Trinity. I knew she would disapprove of my actions and the last thing I needed was a bloody guilt trip.

As I pulled into the car park of the place I had come to stir shit in, I put the car into park and clambered out of the car, sauntering confidently towards the main building and locking my car without looking back as I walked. Even the building looked awful; tall and grey with panelled windows that resembled those of a jail. I pulled my sunglasses from my eyes as I entered the dreary building, ignoring the sign instructing visitors to visit the office in a separate building to avail of help in finding where we wanted to go. I had no need for help, I knew exactly where I was heading.

I walked noiselessly down the corridor, ignoring the looks I was attracting as I went. I kept going until I reached the room I was waiting for. Without knocking, I opened the door and planted a threatening smirk on my face as I saw just the person I had hoped for.

He was sitting in his chair, on his phone, waffling something about printer ink, when he noticed my presence. His eyes made their way from my feet up to my face, and I wish I had a fucking picture of his expression when he recognised who I was. His mouth dropped open and his eyes widened a considerable amount.

He stuttered a few times before abruptly ending the phone call he had been taking. He cleared his throat nervously and his eyes met mine.

"Mr.Tomlinson," he acknowledged.

A smug expression grew on my face as I sensed the fear that was radiating from him.

"Well, hello, Mr.Murray," I responded coolly, "It's been a while, hasn't it?"

****

*Trinity's PoV*

I received little sleep that night, and what precious sleep I did manage to grasp was restless and uncomfortable. I had gone to bed relatively early, but thoughts of Louis occupied my mind for hours on end, leaving a very insufficient amount of time for me to actually rest my eyes, as well as my mind and body.

I woke up feeling possibly even more tired than I had when I had gone to bed. I dragged myself out of my bed, past Chloe, who had fallen asleep in the chair that sat adjacent to my bed, and towards the bathroom. My reflection told me that I looked like something out of a horror movie, and I sighed, knowing that extra time would be needed this morning in order to make me look half-respectable.

As I pulled the brush through my hair roughly, I mulled over my plans for the day. I couldn't think of anything productive, and my thoughts drifted back to my conversation with Greg the day before. I hadn't really gotten time to discuss it with him all that much. He had only just told me when Louis had arrived. I hadn't gotten time to thank him and there was still so much I wanted to know. Was he always that violent? Had it ever happened before with another girl? Questions crowded my mind and I was desperate to know the answers.

That's when it occurred to me - I could find Greg again today and ask him whatever I felt like I needed to know. Besides my curiosity and nosiness, he deserved a thank-you. If it wasn't for him, I would still have been in the dark about Louis' true character. Or was that his true character? Either way, Greg had done me a favour, whether it seemed like it at the time or not.

After washing my face and applying a minimal amount of makeup so I looked presentable, I wandered out of the bathroom and into the bedroom again. My eyes scanned the room and came to rest on what I had been looking for. Chloe's phone was lying on the arm of the plush chair she lay, slouched and asleep. If I wanted to contact Greg, I would need his number, and I was sure it would be in her phone.

Being careful not to wake her, I tip-toed over to where she slept and reached over her dozing figure, reaching for her phone. She stirred slightly, mumbling something indecipherable, but thankfully didn't wake. I grabbed her phone and unlocked it, thanking her silently for not having a pass-code lock placed on it. My fingers scrolled down her contacts until I found Greg's contact details and I copied his number, sending it to myself in a text, before deleting the message.

Proud of my sly work, I placed the phone back beside Chloe and grabbed some clothes before heading to the kitchen, texting Greg. I pulled my outfit on piece by piece as I went about making breakfast for myself, flailing every now and again as I lost balance pulling on my jeans or as I got my head stuck in my jumper with a packet of bread flying around in my hand as I did so.

Luckily, I managed to get dressed and make myself a panini without losing any major limbs or extremities or setting the place on fire (literally, as we all know I was capable of it), and Greg had replied by the time I was finished.

A few texts later, and it had been arranged that Greg would pick me up from Greg's apartment in little under ten minutes. While I was waiting, I finished my panini, setting my plate down by the sink, and wrote a note for Chloe, explaining that I had left to go somewhere, just so she didn't panic upon noticing my absence when she awoke.

As promised, Greg arrived a few minutes later, alerting me by a brief text. I grabbed my handbag and slotted my shoes on, grabbing a key from beside the fruit bowl, so I could let myself back in if Chloe wasn't home later, and shut the door quietly behind me.

I could see Greg's car straight away and he gave me a small wave as I made my way towards his silver sedan. I hopped in, the warmth of the car a welcomed change from the fresh morning air outside. It was only 9:30 am and the sun had yet to warm the ground fully with it's summer rays.

We exchanged greetings as the car was put into motion, but the car ride was silent, apart from that. Both of our eyes focused on the road that lay in front of us and it was obvious that small chit-chat was not needed - we were both quite comfortable in the silence surrounding us. My eyes took in everything I laid them on, the simpleness of the current situation a reassurance and pacifier in preparation for the conversation I knew I was going to have with Greg when we reached our destination.

Time seemed to elapse quickly, as we were pulled into a spot outside a small café far sooner than I expected. I watched as Greg undid his seat-belt and went to do the same, only for something to catch my eye. As I undid my belt, it returned to it's original position and I noticed a small white box resting just in between my seat and the car door. I would have casually dismissed it, only had I noticed something about it that caught my attention.

There, scrawled on the underside of the dinky blue bow that was tied neatly around the small box, was my name.

_____________________

350+ votes and 70+ comments? I know we can do it and it would make me so happy! Don't be a ghost reader, please!

#WhatsInTheLittleBox - can you guys tweet this please! I love seeing your thoughts on it and I nearly always reply :)

Gonna do a hashtag each chapter, I think!:)

Also, new co-written fic coming with karmasucks in the New Year, if you know of her. If you don't, then go check her out!

~L.