30: One Last Cry

Sam's POV

It was a gloomy Monday afternoon, and I do not feel like my normal self. I just finished a nerve-wrecking test and felt very tired. I hate myself that I am so distracted by all those Thomas-Basha moments.The pain makes me feel like a candle melting to my own death in every second that passes by. The pain of seeing the love of my life happy with someone else consumes me in the most painful way.

"Sam."

I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder. I stopped walking and slowly turned around to check on who called my attention.

"Are you okay?"

Then he smiled at me. I know that he knows the obvious answer to his question. I smiled and nodded.

Sam: I am okay, Jeron. Why will I not be?

He smiled and placed his arms around my shoulders, then we started walking together.

Jeron: Thomas and Basha?

Sam: Nah. I just had a hard time in my exam earlier.

Jeron: What's bothering you?

Sam: Nothing. It's really just my test. I was not able to study for that exam well.

Jeron: I repeat, Thomas and Basha?

I heaved a sigh as I declare myself defeated. This guy knows me too well.

Sam: I am trying to be okay. I really am.

He grabbed my head and started leading me out of the campus.

Sam: Hey, where are we going?

Jeron: Trust me. I got this.

Sam: Hey, I still have a class.

Jeron: As if cutting class is new to you? Wag ako, Sammy. Wag ako.

I then stifled a giggle. Jeron makes a lot of good points today. We continued walking until we reached the spot where his car was parked.

He opened the door for me and let me in before he ran to the driver's seat.

Sam: So, where are we going?

Jeron: Somewhere safe.

Sam: And where is that?

Jeron: In that place where the ghost of Tom does not exist.

Sam: So, where going to Afghanistan?

I looked at him and saw the smile on his face as he shook his head in disbelief maybe.

Jeron: I was thinking Sagada, but Afghanistan seems better.

I smiled and just looked in front of me. Where is that place where the ghost of Tom does not exist? Well actually, it is not his ghost that haunts me. It's my regrets that does.

I just watched the road as we travel to Afghanistan. I seriously do not know where are we going so I'd call it Afghanistan for the meantime.

Then, I noticed that we're traversing a familiar road.

Jeron: We're here.

We stopped by a playgroud. Aha! I know this place. This is the village where Tita Susan's sister lives and they often bring us here to play. Jeron was right.

I unbuckled my seatbelt and went down the car. I remember little Jeron and little Sam playing here. This is also where we promised each other that we would be friends forever.

Jeron: Remember this is where we promised that we would be friends forever?

Sam: Yes.

I ran to the swing where I usually sit while watching little Jeron, JC and Ahia Jeric play monkey bars. Jeron sat on the swing next to where I was sitting.