Chapter 16: Two Months Apart

Standing in the shower, I sang along to my iPod.

"Hurry up, Jake!" I heard Aurora shout impatiently. I laughed and turned off the shower. I had decided to take Aurora to dinner, just as a treat. I came out of the bathroom with just a towel wrapped around my waist.

"Finally! You take for-" Aurora stopped, looking at me with a grin.

"I take?" I grinned.

"Forever. Did you do that just so I wouldn't give out to you?" She asks with a laugh.

"Maybe." I wink.

She laughs and goes into the bathroom to get ready.

I dry my hair and pull on a dark blue checkered shirt and black jeans. I slip on my black vans and wait for Aurora in the kitchen. While I'm waiting for her I spot a letter on the table. It's addressed to Aurora and looks very official. It's already open so I pick it up and look at the letter.

Dear Aurora,

You have been chosen to study English in the Fine Arts Collage. You will only need to study at FAC for two months to complete your chosen course and to be able to work in newspapers and magazines. For the whole two months it will cost £3,500. The costs for accommodation and food are also included in this price. If you are accepting this offer you should ring us at the number given on the website. If you do accept your book list will be sent out as soon as possible. Make a wise decision.

Sincerely,

Harriet Xavier

(Principal of FAC)

I read the letter in a mixture or happiness, confusion, anger and sadness. I hear Aurora come down the hall so I stuff the letter back into the envelope. Aurora walks in and I'm taken aback by her beauty. She's wearing a tartan shirt tucked into a pair of black figure hugging skinny jeans. On her feet are a pair of shiny read high heels.

"Hello there, beautiful." I great her.

She blushes and smiles at me.

"Ready to go?" She asks.

"Yeah. Let's go."

We arrive at the restaurant and I pull out Aurora's chair for her.

"Thanks." She smiles.

"You're welcome." I fake a smile back. Should I confront her about the letter? Should I just leave it and let her tell me herself? I decide not to say anything just yet. The waiter comes over and takes our order.

"I have to tell you something." Aurora says behind her hands.

"What is it?" I ask even though I already know what it's about.

"I, um, got accepted into a college. I've decided to take it but I'll have to be gone for two months. It means we'll be apart for two months but I think we'll be able to get through it." She says as quickly as she can.

"Aurora. That's, uh, great news. Obviously I'm going to miss you but it's great news. When are you going?" I keep trying to be happy for her. Two months isn't that long, is it? I trust her not to cheat, don't I? Yes, I do. This is good for her. Really good.

"In a week." She replies.

"A week? That's soon. I'll miss you but this is great. Wow." I laugh and Aurora joins in. We eat our dinner and have a few drinks to celebrate Aurora's news. I'll be able to cope for two months without her, won't I?