Focus

It had been a week since I had first moved in with Professor McGonagall; for the first few days it had been strange due to neither of us being familiar with living someone. However, once we had become more familiar with the presence of the other, we’d settled in nicely; the professor seemed to have taken a maternal side towards ensuring I was comfortable and content, though she always remained firm when it came to teaching me. 

At the start of the week, the Professor took me to the library to retrieve all the books I would need to read and learn from, so while she was teaching during the day, I would curl up on the sofa or sit at the desk reading and practicing the spells I could accomplish without a wand. Professor Dumbledore kept his word and had visited me the Saturday just gone; he had been both pleased and impressed with the progress I was making, saying “I’m glad you have settled in Robyn, Professor McGonagall has been informing me of your progress and I thought a little treat were in order.” At which point Alby pulled out a box of ‘Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans’, I couldn’t help it; I had to hug the Jesus man. I FREAKING HUGGED THE JESUS MAN! Wow. Just…wow. Magical!  

It was Monday mid-afternoon and I currently sat at the Professor’s desk with a book on levitation open in front of me, as well as empty drinking glass sitting on top of it; my gaze focused completely on the glass. Performing the wand wave and repeating the incantation “Wingardium Leviosa” I watched as the glass shuddered but otherwise didn’t move. Having tried this several times during the course of the morning, I frowned deeply as I tried to lower my gradually increasing frustration.  

Re-reading the pages regarding the spell in the textbook, I looked for a clue as to where I was going wrong but upon not finding anything particular, I sighed and decided to try again. This time however I tried something different; I zoned my focus completely on the glass- becoming unaware of everything around me- and as I did the wand movement I opened my palm as if it were a tray for the glass to sit upon. Saying the incantation out loud, I imagined lifting the glass with my hand. Watching carefully, I lift my palm face up and raise it higher, pleasantly surprised when I felt the weight of the glass in my hand though I wasn’t touching it. At the feel of the weight, I continued raising my palm as the glass rose with it and as the glass began to float I felt tingles in my hand, which I used as an indication of the magic leaving me as it would if I were using a wand.

Standing up carefully, I focused on moving the glass away from the table and couldn’t help grinning when it floated towards me and began hovering just a foot away above my hands. Using both hands, now both being tickled with tingles, I experimented with turning, tilting and pivoting the glass as my hands moved around in the directions I wanted the glass to follow.  

“Robyn?” My heart jumped in surprise. Spinning around, I turned towards the voice and lost focus; dropping the glass, it proceeded to shatter on contact with the floor but along with the glass, the sofa and several other pieces of furniture also crashed to floor. 

“Professor Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall!” I greet in complete surprise. I felt stunned by what seemed to have just happened. Why was the other furniture floating?  

Seeming to understand the stunned, bewildered expression on my face, Dumbledory spoke, “It seems you were so focused on levitating the glass, you didn’t realize you were also moving the rest of the furniture.” He chuckled in obvious amusement, his blue eyes twinkling. 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t realize!” I apologize, wary of Professor McGonagall’s reaction. Clicking my fingers, I quickly repaired the glass as it jumps into my hands before placing it safely back on the desk and with a wave of my hand, made any of the furniture not in the correct position realign itself.