A Sneak Peek!

The Descent Into Hell For a Bottle of Milk

Chapter 1

The sweet almost heavenly smell of fried crispy bacon, fluffy seasoned eggs and mouth watering buttered biscuits filled my nose. This was truly the best way to wake up in the morning and that smell of breakfast means that today was the first day of summer. I was officially done with high school and was to be an adult in the up coming fall when I went off to college.

I slipped out of bed yawning and stretching. Popping my locked up joints. Waking up to the smells of breakfast sure beats the annoying holler of an alarm clock or my mother.

Making my way to the bathroom to brush my teeth I caught a glance at the clock. It wasn’t morning at all; it was a little after one in the afternoon.

In the dingy shared off white tile bathroom I brushed my teeth lingering to look at them. I still wasn’t all the used to not having braces anymore.

Heading downstairs the smell of food filled my nose once again and I quicken my pace.

Entering the kitchen I found Jack and Ginger, my little brother and sister finishing up their meal. My mother stood at the sink washing dishes.

“Morning.” I greeted everyone as I took a plate out from the cupboard.

“Alex its well past morning.” Mother said in her all knowing tone making Jack and Ginger giggle at me.

“Well it is the first time I have seen you all today so it might as well be morning.” I said with an all-knowing tone of my own whistle checking the pots on the stove for what was left of breakfast.

“So the whole world should revolve around you? Oh, great King Alex?”

“It would make things a lot easier for everyone and your Majesty will suffice.” I sniggered. “And where’s all the food?” All the pots on the stove were empty and my stomach growled in disappointment.

“We ate it all your Majesty.” Ginger said giving me a toothy grin.

“Is that so?” I scooped her up out of her chair and spun her around. “Do you wish to anger you King?”

“No…no…no!” She giggled. I set Ginger on her feet. “You could always make more Alex.”

“Smart thinking!” I said making my way towards the fridge.

“To bad there isn’t any left to cook in there.” Mother chimed in. “I’m not going shopping until tomorrow. So you will have to survive on cereal until then.”

I groaned internally. I don’t even really like cereal. “There’s not even any Milk!” I said holding the fridge door open.

“Oh, that’s right we finished that off too. I suggest you go to the store and get some.” She smirked. Drying off her hands she headed to the living room where Jack and Ginger where now watching a movie.

“Fine, I will.”

I went back to my room to get dressed. Simple blue jeans, short sleeve senior class shirt with the mascot on it and a zip up hoodie because the summer heat had not yet hit.

 I made sure to get my phone, wallet, ipod, and lighter. I didn’t smoke or anything. My father had given it to me before he went off to war. He wouldn’t be back until I had already left for college. The lighter was engraved with his and my mother’s name.

Ethan & Maple

Going back downstairs making way towards the front door I decided that I wasn’t going to take the car. The store was only a fifteen-minute walk from the house.  

“Mom! Is there any thing else you want me to get besides milk?”

“No you Majesty, your court does not wish for anything else. But please don’t dilly-dally. I  want  you to watch Lord and Lady O’Shanahan later.”

I shook my head. My mother was a mess. “Alright, just milk then.”

“Oh oh oh and not the store brand kind. Get the good stuff Alex.” She called back.

“I’m leaving!” I closed the door behind me.  Taking the path through the front lawn to the sidewalk.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theme songin it up >>>