Brooklyn's Monday Facts

I Google (they should just change it so that google is a verb) a lot and find a lot of weird and interesting stuff.  So instead of harboring the information I decided to spread the word and possibly strike a discussion.

Google is a 13 year old girl! (says google people)

Dolly Parton lost a Dolly Parton look-alike contest.

Dolly Parton showed up to a Dolly Parton lookalike contest on Santa Monica Boulevard, as a joke. She was surprised when it turned out that she didn't win, since that means that the judges thought someone else looked more like her than herself.

"I didn't know if they knew it or not and if it was a joke because they used to have all these Dollys down on Santa Monica Boulevard.

They had the contest and I just got in the line and somebody else won. I don't think they really did know it was me"  

Did you know that "ough" can be pronounced TEN DIFFERENT WAYS?

There's "cough" (which rhymes with "off"), "enough" (which rhymes with "stuff"), "dough" (which rhymes with "no"), "through" (which rhymes with "do"), "thought" (which sounds like "awe"), "plough" (an alternative spelling of "plow"), "hiccough" (an alternative spelling of "hiccup"), "hough" (an alternative spelling of "hock"), "lough" (an alternative spelling of "loch"), and "thorough" (which has a different pronunciation in the UK than it does in American English).

Try this sentence: "A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."  

In the original version of the fairy tale, Sleeping Beauty was raped.

Much like in many of the earliest version of our beloved children's stories, Sleeping Beauty is actually a shockingly violent narrative. The first rendering described our noble hero not as having planted a kiss on her, but instead as having ravaged her slumbering body!

Several months passed, and though still fast asleep, Sleeping Beauty gave birth to a pair of twins. The forest fairies took care of the babies, and one day while nursing, one of the children mistook Sleeping Beauty's thumb for a nipple and sucked out the poison splinter that was causing her drowsiness! What a pleasant surprise it must have been to find not only that she had been asleep for several months, but that she had been knocked up during that time as well!

The Sleeping Beauty story that we know has been changed many times over the centuries. The basis for most modern variants on the story stem from Charles Perrault's "The Tales of Mother Goose" from 1697. His story was a cleaned-up version of the original gruesome rape story, "Sole, Luna, e Talia" from Giambattista Basile in 1634.